WD - easystore 8TB - WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I just had another one go bad in the exact same way. Writes slowed to a crawl, I rebooted the system and when it came back up the partition was gone and it shows as 13000 MB in disk management. I'm beginning to see a pattern here. The ones I've kept in their enclosures are fine. Does anyone have any ideas? I can reformat the drive but I only get 1.2 TB. I don't think I'm going to buy another one of these at this rate. I still have one in its box and I kind of want to return it. I don't think it's worth the $50 savings to have to deal with this hassle.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Out of curiosity, were the failed drives white labels or red?

Reds both.

For the record I got a white label one a year or two ago when these started showing up for around $250 that died. I didn't take it out of the case until it stopped showing up so I could test the bare drive.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
I bought 5 during this recent sale. All Thailand EFAX modems. They are labeled as WD RED/256 cache. I tested them all before shucking. I will be putting data on them this weekend hopefully.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
@S-F, I saw your other thread in the HD subforum; I wonder if your issues are specific to WHS? Have you tried reformatting and running badblocks on the drives?

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
@S-F, I saw your other thread in the HD subforum; I wonder if your issues are specific to WHS? Have you tried reformatting and running badblocks on the drives?
I haven't. I don't have a Linux environment at the moment to run badblocks on. I'm a complete Linux moron. Care to post in the other thread to discuss this and maybe point me in the right direction?

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
I think I have the same issues while I used my drives in Windows server 2016, all drives are fine and pass test in the enclosure. But showing different sizes in WS. I think I reformat, delete partition, and reboot couple times to get the correct size on all drives. Maybe you can give it a try.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I tried that. No dice. I can't imagine what's causing this but it must be something particular to my system, else there would be a lot more discussion surrounding the issue.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
@S-F

Don’t be so hard on yourself.. linux is not that bad and really to run badblocks my 8yo could do it..

Go download the ubuntu install disk appropriate for your hardware.. if its modern 64bit hardware use the amd64 .. if its old as dirt use the other..

There are literally tons of guides out there on taking that iso and making a bootable usb with it... Rufus is one tool.. find one for your window environment to make one.

You can then boot and run linux off that usb thubdrive.. 4gb should do 8gb probably overkill..

There are many guides out there on badblocks.. just do an apt install backblocks (downloads and installs the program) in a terminal window then call it agains whatever disk you want to check..

You can do it on the same hardware that your server is running on.. just boot it to the usb.. pro tip.. unplug ALL other drives so you dont do a dectructive r/w badblocks and erase the disk by accident..

I suggest running the R/W version of the test.. it will write to and read every block and verify .

I tend to do 4 or so passes to qualify new drives .. have fun..

Reactions: Joel

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
me too!! I started with 4, and grabbed 6 more during BF and recent deal. the only thing to keep me away from buying more is telling myself don't need more now and price will drop further in the future.