NVIDIA Turing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think there are some parts of that which are not accurate.

big dog

Feb 12, 2018
I think there are some parts of that which are not accurate.
Agreed. Here is the original source and it's all speculation: Nvidia may reveal dedicated ‘Turing’ cryptocurrency mining cards in March

Everything going forward most likely is still Volta. But the Ampere and Turing code names may be used to describe cards for two different markets given the new landscape: Gaming and cryptocurrency mining. Previous rumors pointed to Ampere code-named gaming cards while Turing likely references to cryptocurrency mining cards. Those names may be reversed too, but highly unlikely.

Why? The Turing code name stems from Alan Turing, an English computer scientist, theoretical biologist, mathematician, and cryptanalyst. The use of his name for a class of add-in GPU cards dedicated to cryptocurrency mining makes sense given his work on cryptography. He helped crack coded messages sent by the Nazis, contributing to the Allies winning World War II.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I have been saving for the new Nvidia Volta cards, but if this is true......

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Klee - think about how much Volta V100 die space is for the Tensor cores. That is silicon that makes little sense for gaming and crypto mining.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
@Klee - think about how much Volta V100 die space is for the Tensor cores. That is silicon that makes little sense for gaming and crypto mining.

I have not read much about the Volta gpu's at all, so whats the story on them?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Seems to me that if someone wanted to make a new cryptocurrency, a proof of work that used matrix-fused-multiply-add (what tensor cores are for), would be quite interesting.

You would take hardware that currently makes no sense for mining (Volta and a handful of other special purpose chips), and suddenly it would be 10x or better at mining than alternative hardware.

Ideally you would want to balance memory use, memory bandwidth/latency, and compute, to maximize the advantage of Volta versus other hardware, so that ASIC would not be viable.