Anyone here tried the Xeon E5-2651 V2?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
something is off with command im getting error when trying to run it
docker: invalid reference format.
See 'docker run --help'.
Did you try the Ubuntu binary I linked to in my previous comment? That oughtta be a quick way to test.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
when i run two instances of xmrig without any cpu affinity it bombs the hash rate. when i run with 12 threads it has about 700ish. when i ran 23/24 it was about 493 h/s. both tests with av2.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
when i run two instances of xmrig without any cpu affinity it bombs the hash rate. when i run with 12 threads it has about 700ish. when i ran 23/24 it was about 493 h/s. both tests with av2.
So is that 700h/s on 12 threads one one CPU, or for the whole machine? If its per CPU that's pretty impressive. :)

On a single 2680v2, the best I've done is 580 h/s on xmr-stak. Config is 9 threads with the first 3 being low power mode.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
So is that 700h/s on 12 threads one one CPU, or for the whole machine? If its per CPU that's pretty impressive. :)

On a single 2680v2, the best I've done is 580 h/s on xmr-stak. Config is 9 threads with the first 3 being low power mode.
my guess is for both since i cant tell the program to use one cpu vs the other.

leerees

Feb 15, 2018
Guys, unless you can get them from a genuine retailer DO NOT buy the e5 - 2651 v2 CPU's. I brought 4 of these CPU's all from different sellers on ebay and all of them were fakes.

After doing some research I found that a Chinese company "acquired" 1000's of engineering sample 2651 v2's. They skimmed the surface and reprinted them in black in without "engineering sample".

To anyone looking these CPU's will appear to be genuine, however once you get them home they perform erratic and very slow, worse than a core 2 duo. Even with underclocking I couldn't get any of mine to be stable for more than a few minutes. Mining is totally out of the question.

To make matters worse it was an absolute nightmare trying to get my money back, 2 sellers refused the refund and it took weeks of email disputes and phone calls. The tech support center ruled in favour of the 2 sellers and I had to ring Ebay's head office and forward my research, it was only then that they actually issued me a cheque direct from ebay! They said they would remove the 2651v2's from ebay but having looked today loads of new sellers have popped up selling the same CPU's.

2 of the dud CPU's I got from ebay all had this printed on them....

INTEL(R)XEON(R) E5-2651 V2
SR19K 1.80GHZ
COSTA RICA
33378986 (E4)

The others had the same but with the following serial numbers:
3351B997

Both Chinese sellers had 33378986, one thing i did notice was on one of the auctions the last 4 digits had been pixellated out.
34108638, this one came from the USA (the seller said it was from his personal workstation). The last one was 3351B997 and the seller was based in Latvia.

As it stands I don't know if we can use the serial numbers as a reliable indicator. I was hoping that the fakes would all have the same serial number so that we can avoid.

Anyway, I really hope my findings prevent anybody else from being scammed. Please, be careful out there, so many scams seemed to be directed towards miners.

sharpnel

Aug 22, 2016
2651v2 is really messy coz of its very low clockspeed.
I somehow got around 800-900h/s by using a combination of low-power mode(4M per core) and standard mode (2M per core).

avoid this processor unless you can grab for cheap.

unfortunately I can't remember these settings anymore since I already sold them 3 months ago.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Guys, unless you can get them from a genuine retailer DO NOT buy the e5 - 2651 v2 CPU's. I brought 4 of these CPU's all from different sellers on ebay and all of them were fakes.

After doing some research I found that a Chinese company "acquired" 1000's of engineering sample 2651 v2's. They skimmed the surface and reprinted them in black in without "engineering sample".

To anyone looking these CPU's will appear to be genuine, however once you get them home they perform erratic and very slow, worse than a core 2 duo. Even with underclocking I couldn't get any of mine to be stable for more than a few minutes. Mining is totally out of the question.

To make matters worse it was an absolute nightmare trying to get my money back, 2 sellers refused the refund and it took weeks of email disputes and phone calls. The tech support center ruled in favour of the 2 sellers and I had to ring Ebay's head office and forward my research, it was only then that they actually issued me a cheque direct from ebay! They said they would remove the 2651v2's from ebay but having looked today loads of new sellers have popped up selling the same CPU's.

2 of the dud CPU's I got from ebay all had this printed on them....

INTEL(R)XEON(R) E5-2651 V2
SR19K 1.80GHZ
COSTA RICA
33378986 (E4)

The others had the same but with the following serial numbers:
3351B997

Both Chinese sellers had 33378986, one thing i did notice was on one of the auctions the last 4 digits had been pixellated out.
34108638, this one came from the USA (the seller said it was from his personal workstation). The last one was 3351B997 and the seller was based in Latvia.

As it stands I don't know if we can use the serial numbers as a reliable indicator. I was hoping that the fakes would all have the same serial number so that we can avoid.

Anyway, I really hope my findings prevent anybody else from being scammed. Please, be careful out there, so many scams seemed to be directed towards miners.
Wow. Good to know about. I have tended to avoid foreign sellers of computer gear on eBay, and now I have one more reason to add to the pile. Chinese outfits have also been known to do similar things with the GPUs that are listed for stupid cheap (think 1080 Ti for $120 BIN). Of course, there's literally nothing stopping someone in US from intentionally buying this stuff with intent to resell (pass the scam along).

Heck, any more I'm scared to use eBay as a seller due to the old "he shipped me some rocks" scam to get free stuff.