Exploring Intel Xeon D Evolution from Xeon D-1500 to Xeon D-2100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
intel seemingly just refuses to deliver a lot cost, low power server platform. every time they take baby steps in that direction they end up reverting to the mean and selling something big and hot and expensive. gotta keep those margins pumped up.

XeonLab

Aug 14, 2016
So basically the difference between Skylake-SP (Silver/Gold) and Skylake-D is 2 memory channels and physical size (no mITX/FlexATX with Skylake-SP)?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@XeonLab a bit more nuanced than that. With the socket, you also have additional options such as upgrading platforms in-place and the potential do go DP.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I don't know how to feel. The new ones look like they're in a different performance and power class than the old. I thought it'd be cut and dry more speed and about the same power but that's really not the case.

If you're going bigger than ITX anyway then you're also in the territory of E5's.

Why do other sites seem to say these are direct replacements and STH is testing them and saying that isn't the case?

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Why do other sites seem to say these are direct replacements and STH is testing them and saying that isn't the case?
Because they're copying intel's marketing glossies, and intel has no real explainable strategy for all their SKUs. It's really gotten that bad.

edit to add: I guess you could count "no matter how much money you have in your pocket, we have a SKU that costs exactly that much" as a strategy, but it's pretty weak.

Reactions: Aquatechie

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I was expecting intel would pull off the new core with the PCH improvements with similar power consumption but that is clearly not the case at all.
I am really surprised the idle is as high as it is.

Ok great chip if you wants QAT & 10G, but with the larger core counts you want more memory than 4 slots @ 32gb will give (128gb) so then you end up not using a mini-it’s board.

Total cost may be a deciding factors but I suspect won’t be much in it.