DIY Server Rack Build Log

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Unfadingpyro

Sep 17, 2016
Hello Everyone!

For some time now i have been wanting to downsize my home server rack. (Full size 42U). I don't need the space and want something that will fit in my basement. The 42u won't fit and is in my garage currently. However, i couldn't find any 24u full depth racks locally and i couldn't really afford to buy a new one. So i decided to build one!!

I followed these directions mostly, with a few of my own tweaks on the design. DIY Server Rack Plans

I'm not quite done yet, but getting close.

Here's some build pics:

Update: 2/13/18

On the back side i mounted some 2u cable management on the right side to keep the ethernet cables tidy

Put some egg crate sound dampening foam on the insides. Plan on putting some on the top and on the back door.

Up top are some AC Infinity fans for intake and exhaust.

Update: 2/18/18

Added some more sound proofing foam. I may decide to get more, but the stuff isn't cheap...

Back door

Last edited:

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
That's pretty nifty. Nice find on the plans!

It'd be pretty easy to take this one step further: have a front air filter opening and a rear exhaust ducted vent. :)

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
heh, I still have a 42u cabinet in my garage awaiting the move down into the basement. It's 50/50 if the cage will even fit down the stairs, though all the doors & walls have made it in (in an attempt to lower the weight).

Unfadingpyro

Sep 17, 2016
Forget the rack I want the garage.... Nice work on the rack too though. Now it's time to load it up and run the wires.
Thanks!!

That's pretty nifty. Nice find on the plans!

It'd be pretty easy to take this one step further: have a front air filter opening and a rear exhaust ducted vent. :)
Thanks! Already have front and back doors made, just need to put them on. Back door is solid and the front door is going to have a tinted plexiglass window. Up top on the front there are 3 120mm intake fans and 3 120mm exhaust fans on the back.

heh, I still have a 42u cabinet in my garage awaiting the move down into the basement. It's 50/50 if the cage will even fit down the stairs, though all the doors & walls have made it in (in an attempt to lower the weight).
Mine would not fit all, even if i completely disassembled it. Basement ceiling is like 7 feet.. Rack is like 7.5. Good luck with yours!!

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
The other thing that occurred to me is that buying a miter saw and circular saw for this project alone makes sense vs. buying a $1000+ enclosure.

Last edited:

Unfadingpyro

Sep 17, 2016
The other thing that occurred to me is that buying a miter saw and circular saw for this project alone makes sense vs. buying a $1000+ enclosure.
Lucky for me my dad already had the saws, so this project made all that much more sense. Still has ended up costing more then i originally thought, all the little things add up quick. But still cheaper then a new rack of this size and i feel like it will work better for what i want.

Updated the first post with some more pics.

kapone

May 23, 2015
I have that exact same AC Infinity fan plate in my Amazon wishlist....staring at me. I keep thinking I should order it, even though I don't see a use for it yet.

Unfadingpyro

Sep 17, 2016
I have that exact same AC Infinity fan plate in my Amazon wishlist....staring at me. I keep thinking I should order it, even though I don't see a use for it yet.
I hope they work good. They are really nice quality at least!

Updated the first post with some more progress. Slowly getting there. Can't wait to start getting my servers wired up in it!

laserpaddy

Jul 17, 2017
out there
The infinity fans are a great buy, I have 4 of them....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk