Does anyone else have a Supermicro PWS-865-PQ or have experiences of this PSU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Hi All,

I have just gone from a dual redundant 745 chassis to a single PSU 743 SQ Chassis.

This chassis has a PWS-865-PQ Power supply, all seems to be working fine and is a VERY quiet server chassis I must say, however I am slightly concerned about one thing, if the system is off the PSU makes a high pitched noise (like coil whine), when the system is running you can't hear this unless you put your ear next to the PSU. Is anyone else's like this or can someone check?

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Hi All,

I have just gone from a dual redundant 745 chassis to a single PSU 743 SQ Chassis.

This chassis has a PWS-865-PQ Power supply, all seems to be working fine and is a VERY quiet server chassis I must say, however I am slightly concerned about one thing, if the system is off the PSU makes a high pitched noise (like coil whine), when the system is running you can't hear this unless you put your ear next to the PSU. Is anyone else's like this or can someone check?
If I had a dollar for every whining server component.

How do you like the 743 SQ?

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
...I am slightly concerned about one thing, if the system is off the PSU makes a high pitched noise (like coil whine), when the system is running you can't hear this unless you put your ear next to the PSU. Is anyone else's like this or can someone check?
may be better to replace under warranty?

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
If I had a dollar for every whining server component.

How do you like the 743 SQ?
I love the 743/745, it's not much different to the 745TQ-R800 I have, but I much prefer the silence :D

may be better to replace under warranty?
Supermicro are a pain for RMA, so want to check it's normal for this model of PSU first before putting the server out of action for a long time :(