Raw drive passthrough with ICH10r?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Is there a way to pass a raw drive through on the ICH10r under ESXi 4.1? I'm trying to mess around with freeNAS but I cant seem to find a way to get it to see a raw drive on the intel sata. TIA

ttheierl

May 23, 2011
Not supported yes, but it is, or can be, detected and used as an AHCI sata controller. I have a 4 drive setup with ESXi 4.1 using 3 of those drives as RDMs, or RAW device mappings. Basically all it is is a vmdk file pointing to the actual device itself instead of a LUN. Here's the link i used to do this from the ESXi console.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Not supported yes, but it is, or can be, detected and used as an AHCI sata controller. I have a 4 drive setup with ESXi 4.1 using 3 of those drives as RDMs, or RAW device mappings. Basically all it is is a vmdk file pointing to the actual device itself instead of a LUN. Here's the link i used to do this from the ESXi console.
I have a similar guide about half written. It is a bit involved to set up so I have hesitated in finishing the piece off. The RDM method does work though.