Potential deal on Supermicro 846B chassis with SAS2/920P-SQ/more

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Guys - One of my contacts called me that they just got a bunch of Supermicro 846s in. Once he listed all the stuff on them... :) Here's the run down:

- SC846 Rev B chassis with SAS2 backplane
- Dual PWS-920P-SQ power supplies
- Rear dual 2.5" hot swap kit
- All fans (They are all PWM) - 3x in the mid plane, 2x on back wall.
- Not sure if these have the newer 8824 PDB or the N24 PDB (I suspect 8824, but I could be wrong. He's checking for me.)
- All caddies (both front and rear)
- These take the narrow rail set, and the inner rails are already installed. He's checking for me how many (if any) outer rail sets he may have.
- They contain two SAS 8087 cables attached to the expander and another single port 8087-8088 adapter.

I'm working out a bulk price from him, since I'm already buying 4x of these. He's looking for $450ish each, but is willing to negotiate.

If there's interest, let me know, and I can see what I can bargain with him. He's got 10 of these, of which I already committed for four for myself. Six up for grabs.

List of folks interested/committed.

To keep things fair, I'm gonna go by chronological order in which people expressed interest (and how many). They get first dibs.

Up until now (in order):

- @mikehunt114 = 1x/declined.
- @AlphaG = 1x/committed/paid.
- @mpennett = 1x/committed/paid.
- @darkconz = 4x/committed/paid.
- @Cipher = 1x/committed/paid.
- @sth = 1x/committed/paid.
- @antsh = 1x/declined.
- @sdfrancis = 1x/committed/paid.

Edit: er..pictures are helpful...right?

s-l1600-46.jpg s-l1600-47.jpg s-l1600-49.jpg

Last edited:

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
When I was shopping for SC846s what made or broke the deal was usually shipping. The 920P-SQ and rear hot swap kits do make these more attractive than your run of the mill SC846.

kapone

May 23, 2015
When I was shopping for SC846s what made or broke the deal was usually shipping. The 920P-SQ and rear hot swap kits do make these more attractive than your run of the mill SC846.
These ARE on the West Coast, so shipping there should be reasonable. For East Coast guys...tough. These are big boxes. I'd imagine ~$50 to ship each in general.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Wait...he's willing to go lower. $325ish, I think.

Edit: He's also got some 836s, but these are nothing special, come with dual PWS-801-R, but they do come with the direct attach TQ backplane.

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Still trying to work it out. It seems I have some competition and someone else is trying to buy the whole lot.

I may just buy the whole damn thing if it's too good to pass up, and then offer it here. It's gonna increase the cost a bit because of shipping twice, but I have pretty good corporate rates with Fedex, so that offsets it a bit.

Edit: Hell, our favorite recyclers in Silicon Valley are asking ~$250 just for a SAS2 backplane, which is what makes me wanna buy the whole lot.

kapone

May 23, 2015
@Patrick - Before this gets out of hand, is it ok for me to do something like this here? If not, let me know and I won't.

kapone

May 23, 2015
I'll have the final numbers in a day or so. The whole lot is either 10 or 12 chassis. I get to keep four, and the rest are are up for grabs. Four of the rest may be spoken for.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Based on everything I know, and given the fact that these are running the 920p-SQ power supplies, the PDB is either PDB-PT846-2824 or the PDB-PT846-8824. I'm 99% sure of this, but I won't be able to confirm until the units get shipped to me.

The seller indicated that they had already boxed up things and were on a pallet to be shipped to me, and they didn't want to unbox them just to check on the PDB.

ps - My neighbors are gonna be wide eyed when they see a pallet being unloaded outside my gate...

kapone

May 23, 2015
Final tally = 13x 846B chassis with the above configuration and 2x SC836 (which are nothing special). Still getting a shipping estimate from the seller to determine final cost.

Note: I'm not trying to make money from these. I was trying to buy a few for myself at the best price. It just evolved from there.

Edit: To keep things fair, I'm gonna go by chronological order in which people expressed interest (and how many). They get first dibs.

Second Edit: I'm sure you guys have seen the thread on Supermicro screws for $1.55 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003...274d64b720&pd_rd_i=B00353EKR8&tag=servecom-20). While waiting for these units to come in (freight shipping is not exactly the fastest)... I can order the screws from Amazon as well (I have prime) and include them with the chassis. At cost, add $1.55 to the final unit cost. Each pack should be enough for a single 846. If interested, please let me know. If you want extras, please let me know as well.

Somebody gonna buy me a six pack for all this work?? :)

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Okie dokie. The deal is in the bag! I outperformed myself, I have convinced the seller to ship the units directly to people who are interested. That cuts down on double shipping fee for almost everybody, as long as you're in Continental US. Any Canadian buyers are out of luck, as the units will need to be shipped to me, and I'll have to ship them out.

The unit cost turned out a bit higher than $325 that I was negotiating for, as there were other bidders that wanted the whole lot. The final unit cost is $335 per unit. This is based on the configuration above.

Note - Since these units will now be directly shipped to you, I'll not have an opportunity to confirm the PDB version or include screws. But like I said, these are Rev B chassis with SQ power supplies, so the chances of the PDB being the 2824 or 8824 are very high. However, please don't hold me to this, as I'm guessing as much as you.

The seller will ground ship, but I'll be using my corporate account to generate the shipping labels and sending them to him.

So, for the people listed above that expressed interest, I need commitments, your shipping address and I'll calculate the final cost to each of you based on the shipping and send you a PM. I need the PayPal payments as soon as practical, even though I'm fronting the money for the whole lot to him.

Reactions: PnoT and wsuff

kapone

May 23, 2015
I have updated the first post with the list of folks, interested in units, in order of interest shown.

Edit: For all intents and purposes, the OUTER rails are not included. The inner rails are already installed on the chassis'. If you find outer rails in your shipment, count your blessings, because you'll be the exception.

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Actually, now that I'm looking at the pictures with a less fudge brain... :) This picture clearly shows TWO 8 pin EPS connectors, which only came with the 2824 or the 8824 PDBs.

So, it looks like it's almost a certainty that it has one of the newer PDBs.