As a new guy in this world I don't understand these insane swings

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
A couple of weeks ago the news about Korea banning crypto-currency seemed to cause a downward spiral for several days but things bounced back relatively quick. Today or at least the last 24 hours it seems just about everything is down by a notable percentage. This is again because Korea announced pursuing some regulations for crypto currency? Not banning it but regulations? Do people see the headline and just dump it (any coin they have) as fast as possible or something?

I'm trying to find some TRUSTWORTHY info (even if it is an educated guess...at least it's be educated!) that at least provides insight but there's so much misinformation it's hard to sift through the mess.

I figured alot of you have been in this game quite a bit longer and might be so inclined to give some insight to the uninitiated :)

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
China also talked about banning wider swath of exchange activity and regulation comments out of Germany and France too. Also price was up 3x+ in 3 months for BTC, a correction is expected. The US stock market might get at least a mild correction this year too with no tax anticipation left now that it is passed. I think an interesting token is COSS, exchange fee split guaranteed by ethereum smart contracts. Their exchange has serious growth problems right now but they are working on it.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Just want to know is mining still profitable for individuals?
My 1080ti's are still doing $10+ a day per card, so unless things change even more drastically, then profits are still definitely there.

Although I really wouldn't mind people dumping their cards :D

Reactions: Priscilla110

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Just want to know is mining still profitable for individuals?
I would say that it's impossible to predict ROI on new hardware investment - so I personally would not buy any new hardware just for mining. But it's still profitable to use what hardware you already have. Especially if it's already paid for itself, or if it primarily serves (was bought for) other purpose. If the mined return is above electricity cost, then it is still profitable...

Last edited:
Reactions: Priscilla110

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@vrod

From the article
For those who have not lived through this sort of volatility, it’s easy to think that crypto is dead, their investment is gone, and it’s time to move on. For the rest of us who have weathered these storms before, this is just another January.

For real world situation.
I ride the bull of Microsoft , Oracle since the late 1980 , Cisco since 1990.
There were decades of self doubt and fear.
After 20+ years, I am living off the stock dividend now.

No one knows , including me.