Bought used x9scm-f board, no boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Oct 3, 2017
Hi there,

I recently bought a used supermicro x9-scm-f board from ebay. Altough i contacted the reseller for this issue i also want to try my luck on STH.

I cant seem to get this board running with this setup :

2 x 2gb PC10600E ECC UDIMM
Intel I3-2100 socket 1150 (Intel® Core™ i3-2100 Processor (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz) Product Specifications)

or

2 x 2gb PC10600E ECC UDIMM
Intel Xeon E3-1265L socket 1155 (Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1265L v2 (8M Cache, 2.50 GHz) Product Specifications)

When the board is powered on, there is no beep. powersupply fan is running. also the processor-fan is running. Unfortunately this lasts only 5 seconds and then it all stops and this repeats endlessly without any signal on the VGA port.

I've managed get IPMI running and i was able to update the IPMI bios to the latest. unfortunately there is no way to update the bios from IPMI. The main reason for using the i3-2100 was to be able to update the bios to be able to use the xeon on this board.

There are two leds active on the board, the IPMI led and a powerled. I don't have any clue on what bios version is on the board right now.

Can anyone assist me with getting this board up and running ?

Thanks in advance

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
did you check the voltage of the CMOS battery? i have found that when CMOS battery voltage is too low, it can do what you describe.

some times when the BIOS settings get messed up, it can exhibit behavior like that, in which case perform the CMOS reset procedure as well.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
also, i just went through this myself with X9SCM-F, and when using IvyBridge CPU, the 3 of the PCI-E slots are very particular about what cards will work or not. the 4th PCI-E slot appears to always work. just FYI.

Oct 3, 2017
Thanks for your reply.
I've swapped the battery with the one i had on a working x10 board i've got. I also did a bios reset with this battery. Unfortunately this gives the same result. I will try measuring the voltage tomorrow.

As i've just received the board today, I did not experiment with any PCIE cards yet. All slots are empty. But thanks for your information !

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
BTW, some "basic" things to check... some times if there's a M/B stand off in the wrong location and shorts something on the board, it won't boot. i some times take the board out and put it on cardboard and just see if it boots up in the "open" outside of a metal box.

Oct 3, 2017
I've just taken out the board and put it on a foam underlayment. I did another bios reset, but it still won't boot.
As IPMI seems to run without any problem, can I rule out the (200w) powersupply ?. It is connected with only the 24 pin atx connector, leaving a empty 8 pin power connector aside.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Go buy a new PSU with a correct connectors. You are getting nowhere trying to troubleshoot a issue with such shortcuts.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Not sure if your problem is the same as mine but after troubleshooting with supermicro they think that the motherboard is bad.
Linky

Oct 3, 2017
The x9 in working !
After some research i found out that the 4 pin fits into the 8 pin connector without any issues. As long as you keep in mind that he supply has enough power for your system. In my case it does.
It was confusing for me that my x10 board does not use the separate 4 pin to power the CPU. Another confusing thing was that my powersupply has two 4-pin connectors. It seems that it's been too long ago building my own systems...

I'm up and running ... thanks everyone for sharing !

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Thanks for sharing.

Same issue happened to my X9SCM-F when a bad power supply fried the board.

From your resolution, it sounds like the PSU fried the CPU power circuitry on my board.