SUPERMICRO MOTHERBOARD X9DRi-LN4F+ Rev 1.10 Dual Socket LGA 2011 R

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Can you reply to them and ask about the different revisions and see what their answer is? I would trust Supermicro more than them. Mrrackables aren't highly technical and they typically don't actually test this stuff from what most members here have said.
that's exactly what i asked them! I told them that I've seen references to different revisions of their motherboards that might not support v2 CPUs. I specifically asked which revisions do not support v2 CPUs.

This is their response (i know, very short):

It does support V1 or V2 CPU.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

TP

Supermicro Computer's Technical Support

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
These are still floating around. I may pick up three and try it with V2 CPU's. I have V1 CPU's in two of the servers anyway, but one of the one's I need to replace has V2's.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
So I did reach out to Supermicro as well and I got a totally different response:

Hi Brian,

It depends on the ECO that applied to the motherboard. If the motherboard that the reseller has is before the ECO released, then it does not support ivy bridge v2 CPU.

Best,
JT

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I asked him/her that question. The interesting part to me is that the manual for this board references 1.1 in all the pictures. It also mentions the V2 CPU's everywhere. So maybe this is the original release revision and they have just revised the manual?

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I'll probably buy three of them anyway. The company selling them is about 10 miles from my house and also has an 846A I'd like to pick up. I just have to finish cleaning out and dejunking our garage so that the finance committee (wife) will approve my next $4k in server fun.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
An ECO could very well correlate to the revision in this case. As was described in the previously mentioned link by supermicro, an ECO is the addition or removal of components to support hardware. So the revision 1.2 could be the ECO that brought support to the board. Whereas 1.10 was before.

Though it makes me wonder if 1.10 is even the original board production revision. 1.10 could have been the ECO that provided v2 support.

Also apparently these boards have problems with server 2012 and 2016 in some instances even with the latest bios. I would def try to get rev 1.2 boards if possible.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
More from Supermicro:

Hi Brian,

Some rev 1.1 also support v2 CPU. I will need the serial number to determinate the ECO date and find out if it supports.

Best,
JT
So I guess I'll find out once I order and receive. At least the seller was up front about it.

Reactions: frogtech

chune

Oct 28, 2013
ugh i should have know to check STH before i bought these boards. I can confirm that rev 1.10 does not support the v2 CPUs flashed with the latest bios and BMC. Supermicro doesnt appear to want to work on these either. I have a 1.10 and a 1.20a board i can compare. i am curious what components needed to be swapped for this to support the v2 CPUs. If we could source the parts ourselves i would be interested in doing this. I have a stack of 5 boards now that are worthless to me

Reactions: BLinux

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
I assume you mean ether that you ether a) flashed the bios from 1.10 or 1.20 to 3.2 and it still would not accept V2 cpus or that b) you were not able to flash to bios Version 3.2. is that correct.

chune

Oct 28, 2013
I assume you mean ether that you ether a) flashed the bios from 1.10 or 1.20 to 3.2 and it still would not accept V2 cpus or that b) you were not able to flash to bios Version 3.2. is that correct.
it came flashed 3.2 and would only boot with V1 CPUs

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Certain 1.1 revisions will do v2, but not all. Kind of annoyed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

David Gensinger

Jan 12, 2018
I just bought one of these boards myself but i think i wiffed on the psu i bought to support. I am using a evga 750 gq but i can't get the board to do anything other than blink the green heartbeat. Any suggestions on psu for this board for a standard tower configuration?

I have several of these boards about 5 years old now... Supports v2 just fine with latest BIOS.

I figure I can get another year out of them...

They do need a narrow cooler the standard 2011s do not work...

DanP

Jan 8, 2016
I just bought one of these boards myself but i think i wiffed on the psu i bought to support. I am using a evga 750 gq but i can't get the board to do anything other than blink the green heartbeat. Any suggestions on psu for this board for a standard tower configuration?
Did you install v2's on it? if so it might have an old Bios on it and you will need v1s to update to newest bios then swap to v2s. Also unless reworked x9dri boards of rev 1.10 and older do not support v2 chips (learned that the hard way, >100 2us stuck at v2)

Reactions: Joel