AEON Mining Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Dang it really does pay if one is going to buy nodes for mining to buy a crap ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I'm hoping for. We'll see in a few months. Right now my bank balance is far less than before buying the hardware ; )

It's also not easy to find cheap power on short notice. I'm now pulling down 47a of 208v in my spare bedroom. Much more and I'd be worried about tripping the service disconnect. Also, the experience of being in that bedroom is like a cross between standing on an active runway, using a rube goldberg device, and watching an episode of hoarders. Air quality has been bad recently in Phoenix as well, so the servers look like they've been running in a Chinese coal fired power plant. Not exactly a good long term solution.

The rest of the hardware is being colocated, which isn't cheap, but is a heck of a lot more professional. Upside is it looks like I'll be meeting my power ramp at the datacenter ahead of time = D

I'd be interested in getting a small evaporatively cooled warehouse in Phoenix, but haven't had any time to look into it. I'd split it with someone if they wanted to do the legwork.

Reactions: gigatexal

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Evap is the way to go for this. I'm not in Phoenix but I'd assume cooling is a significant consideration given the climate.

I'm really happy that I switched from XMR to AEON. I was lucky and I got a Bittrex account early enough.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
so are you really making about 63 coins a day or has it been a lot less? (based on convert tool on pool)
Also what is your power usage for all the servers at home?
I'm not sure the coins per day. Been too busy setting up servers to see if the calculators are accurate or not.

My pdus show 47a of 208v being used by my stacks of home servers. Meter shows the real voltage sagged to 204v after loading to 80% (started at 208v before adding load to the circuits). Add a couple hundred watts for box fans on 120v, and that gets you to almost exactly 10kw 24/7.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Evap is the way to go for this. I'm not in Phoenix but I'd assume cooling is a significant consideration given the climate.

I'm really happy that I switched from XMR to AEON. I was lucky and I got a Bittrex account early enough.
At this time of year cooling is all about having some open windows and powerful fans. The servers probably wont mind too much even at 90F; The 2U heatsinks provide at least 15C of cooling headroom at 70F ambient. In theory that lets you go to 100F ambient but then you have to tightly control any hot spots.

Relatively cheap "direct evaporative coolers" should be able to maintain under 90F in Phoenix even in the worst case, if you have enough airflow. Ordinarily direct evap here can get you lower than that, but you want to plan for the worst conditions. Should have a PUE in the 1.1 range. My "open window cooling" is more like 1.03 PUE = D

Truth be told I won't want to be in that room if it's above 75F ambient, even if the servers can tolerate higher. The delta screamers can keep the cold / hot temperature rise to 5F, but its pretty intolerable being in the room with those going. And anything above 80F is pretty intolerable generally.

So, once I have some time to do it, I'd like to move this somewhere more appropriate. Definitely before the temperatures rise around here.

homelabusr

Feb 7, 2017
So, it's 10KW for 540k hashes/sec.
Even less considering the overhead.

That's 54 hashes/watt for cryptonight-lite

Which cpu/gpu is giving those numbers?

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
So, it's 10KW for 540k hashes/sec.
Even less considering the overhead.

That's 54 hashes/watt for cryptonight-lite

Which cpu/gpu is giving those numbers?
The information you seek can be found in this very thread.

homelabusr

Feb 7, 2017
The information you seek can be found in this very thread.
Hmm.. didn't want to read all the way.
Was hoping to be spoon-fed.

Still a skeptic though..even Patrick's numbers for ryzen and Xeon platinum don't come close

They are like 10H/W for epyc 7601
They are for cryptonight, so I am assuming 3x for cryptonight-lite.
That takes it to about 30H/W.

But 54H/W , I would want to see more proof.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Hmm.. didn't want to read all the way.
Was hoping to be spoon-fed.

Still a skeptic though..even Patrick's numbers for ryzen and Xeon platinum don't come close

They are like 10H/W for epyc 7601
They are for cryptonight, so I am assuming 3x for cryptonight-lite.
That takes it to about 30H/W.

But 54H/W , I would want to see more proof.
At best, 6h/wfor xmr and 20h/w for aeon with dual e5-2680v2.

If Epyc is showing 10H/w dor xmr, wouldn't be surprised by a range between 3x and 4x for Aeon.

54H/w is definitely very high.

homelabusr

Feb 7, 2017
At best, 6h/wfor xmr and 20h/w for aeon with dual e5-2680v2.

If Epyc is showing 10H/w dor xmr, wouldn't be surprised by a range between 3x and 4x for Aeon.

54H/w is definitely very high.
@funkywizard
Okay, now I will have to read.

Aren't you the one saying 540kh/s for 10kw ?
Or maybe I missed something ?
10kw is just for one installation perhaps ?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
At 540KH/s given current prices that's $15K/ mo of revenue? WhatToMine - AEON Aeon mining profit calculator

That is 3x what I am at for CPU mining.
That's what the calculator tells me too. Fingers crossed it materializes.

I haven't "bet more than I can afford to lose" at this stage, but am getting pretty close to the line of "it would be very unwise to risk more without seeing more returns first".

Ultimately, this is hardware I would buy all day if real customers were paying less and getting more. Other than the risk of the bubble popping, it's a no brainer. I'm hoping that I can leverage crypto into refreshing my entire fleet of Dual L5639 servers -- I don't expect much demand for those too much longer.

Best case scenario, I'd like to use crypto as a means to set up my own datacenter -- that way I can go through the growing pains on a non-critical workload (mining), and earn some revenue during that "beta" stage, before hosting normal customers there. The two things together would put me into a much stronger competitive position / much lower per-server overhead costs.

One step at a time : )