Modding/Tweaking a RX Vega 64 FE in Linux

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
There is very little online about doing this in Linux so here we go.

I'm no programmer just an pretty advanced user so bear that in mind if you want to follow along.

I purchased a AMD Rx Vega 64 FE on the spur of the moment and really did not think this through before I clicked "purchase" but the non FE Rx Vegas are super hard to get.

I have found that the newest version of amrig-amd is a little faster than the latest version of amr-stak-amd for me so far.

Install and run lm-sensors if you have not already, for me it shows the gpu temp and fan speed and you really need that information before you start on this.

The first thing I needed was a way to control the fan under Linux , I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.03 64 bit, so I searched and found a script that works even tho it came out months before the Rx Vegas were released and the dev has stated he is working on a newer and better version but it has not been released yet.

GitHub - DominiLux/amdgpu-pro-fans: An alpha version written in bash script for the development of overall concepts for a c++ project I will be releasing soon as open source.
It works on my Rx Vega, the command is simple:

sudo ./amdgpu-pro-fans.sh -s 75

The -s sets the speed, in the above it set the speed to %75.

And this helps a bunch even if you do nothing else because mining will cause the temp to jump to over 80c REAL quick since the stock fan profile does not keep up.

Now on this card the noise can get kind of irritating at the higher speeds so I am starting off looking for ways to run the card cooler and quieter than stock and will seek to increase the hash speed later.

So next is how do I adjust the clockspeed and voltage, this I found a script here:

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

It will modify a kernel module and recompile your kernel so if you do not want that, then don't do it!
dwarfing/amdgpu-mod.sh at master · ktsol/dwarfing · GitHub
The default command to run it is:

sudo ./amdgpu-mon.sh -d /usr/src/amdgpu-pro-YOURVERSION -v 800 -c 13

Now this runs and does its thing and then you have to reboot, always been nervous rebooting after a kernel compile.

That sets the voltage to 818mv and underclocks the clockspeed by %13

NOTE: To reverse that and bring your system back to stock use this command:

sudo ./amdgpu-mon.sh -d /usr/src/amdgpu-pro-YOURVERSION -r

As of now I have not found a way to display voltages and clock speeds yet.

After I ran the command it seems to work because with the same intensity setting in xmrig-amd it runs about ~6c cooler with a fan speed thats %20 less.

Before the mod:

~78c with a fan speed of %95

After the mod:

~72c with a fan speed of %75

I will add to this as I learn more and change things but for now it seems to be an improvement with lower temps at a much lower fan speed.

EDIT: If you game on Linux you probably will hurt performance doing this.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
As of now xmrig-amd config :

{
"algo": "cryptonight",
"background": false,
"colors": true,
"donate-level": 1,
"log-file": null,
"print-time": 15,
"retries": 5,
"retry-pause": 5,
"syslog": false,
"opencl-platform": 0,
"threads": [
{
"index": 0,
"intensity": 1930,
"worksize": 8,
"affine_to_cpu": false
},
{
"index": 0,
"intensity": 1930,
"worksize": 8,
"affine_to_cpu": false
}
],
"pools": [
{

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
So far I really like this video card, its mining away and I can still do everything on my pc I normally do, lots of browser tabs, netflix, youtube videos ect..

When I had my GTX 1080 Ti I could not mine and use my desktop at the same time so with it I only mined when I was not using the pc.

keybored

May 28, 2016
Don't know if you tried this already or not, but when using a GTX 1080ti or any other Nvidia card you can increase "bfactor" and "bsleep" values to make your desktop more responsive. XMR-Stak seems to allow for a wider range of values compared to Xmrig in my experience. You will lose some performance as a result, but it's usually tolerable.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Don't know if you tried this already or not, but when using a GTX 1080ti or any other Nvidia card you can increase "bfactor" and "bsleep" values to make your desktop more responsive. XMR-Stak seems to allow for a wider range of values compared to Xmrig in my experience. You will lose some performance as a result, but it's usually tolerable.

Yep I tried that, but was not happy with the performance so I just mined when I was not on the pc.

I run all the miner programs to see what works for me and in this use case xmrig-amd works the best for me so far on this pc, that might change tho.

Now I enjoy the best of both worlds, mining 24/7 and can use that pc at the same time.

I was really not expecting to be real impressed with this card over the 1080ti but I really am.

It was a spur of the moment purchase, not something I was planning on doing.

I run 8 desktops using Workplace Switcher, have firefox open in most of them with lots of tabs, two or three or even four crytocoin blockchains , chrome watching NetFlix, tons of terminal windows open all while running xmrig-amd and the Rx Vega does not even break a sweat.

So far I am super impressed with it and I am pleasantly surprised how well the AMDPRO driver works.

Reactions: keybored

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I'm curious to know what your power draw is in this condition?

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I'm curious to know what your power draw is in this condition?

Well with dual E5-2667 V3's and the Rx Vega all mining i'm not sure, kind of afraid to check. :eek:

LOL

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Next time I reboot if I can remember i'll plug in my kilowatt meter.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Well with dual E5-2667 V3's and the Rx Vega all mining i'm not sure, kind of afraid to check. :eek:

LOL
I have:
2x 2667v2
1x 1620 v1
1x 7700K
3x Vega 64
2x 1060s

All of the above are mining at ~1300w on one power strip. I'm about at the limit of the 120/15A breaker. :)

I'm fully prepared for a +$120 power bill.

Reactions: Marsh