$42 3TB HGST SATA disks are back

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
I ordered a moderate amount of them and will run them through stress tests but that will take several weeks. Will update then. Others may have nearer-term data - would be interesting to see.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I've ordered these from ebay sellers before. Bulletproof drives.

Will give this newegg deal a shot. Thanks for the tip!

SkypePhoto_20171231_231647.jpg

45 minutes for newegg to process my payment for this to clear in the 2017 tax year

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
HGST drives are rock solid, a bit noisier than some but absolutely rock solid. I'm not a brand loyalist but for the time being I don't see myself buying anything aside from HGST when it comes to spinning rust.
I've been happy with Western Digital Black and Raid Edition drives as well. HGST NAS line of drives have provided better $/tb for new drives, and the all-but-identical Ultrastars offer fantastic value. Both HGST NAS and HGST Ultrastar have been rock solid.

The only cheaper drives I ever see are Seagate, and the failure rates on those are atrocious. Any chance we get we are taking any Seagate Constellation or Seagate Barracudas out of service permanently, even if there is no obvious problem with a specific drive, due to the massive failure rate of both models. Have something like 100 of them lying around which have passed SMART testing after a dd wipe. We had been thinking about selling them, but now am looking forward to mining burstcoin on them = P

To put some numbers to it, yearly failure rates are something like 0.3% HGST, 1% Western Digital (Black and RE), and at least 10% a year for Seagate.

Other Western Digital drives are not so great: WD Blue drives, in my opinion, should not be used for any purpose, similarly to the Seagate Barracuda drives. WD Green drives also leave much to be desired but are at least reasonably reliable.

Reactions: james23

james23

Nov 18, 2014
To put some numbers to it, yearly failure rates are something like 0.3% HGST, 1% Western Digital (Black and RE), and at least 10% a year for Seagate.
awesome! thanks for those numbers (as it def looks like you deal in large volume / numbers). (my own fail numbers, on ~ 200 drives total, are VERY similar re: HGST and Seagate, but sans the WDs as only have a few of those). we totally quit using anything seagate about 3 yrs ago.

fyi, as of 1030am EST im not seeing the 5$ MIR offer (logged into NE or not, product page or in cart at checkout, not seeing it anywhere), so they show up as 45.99 for me (still GREAT deal).

same drives on amazon are 49.99 from goHDD (seller ive had good results with, on this specific drive). we all know this is one of the best (if not the best) 2/3tb drive make+model(s).

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
awesome! thanks for those numbers (as it def looks like you deal in large volume / numbers). (my own fail numbers, on ~ 200 drives total, are VERY similar re: HGST and Seagate, but sans the WDs as only have a few of those). we totally quit using anything seagate about 3 yrs ago.

fyi, as of 1030am EST im not seeing the 5$ MIR offer (logged into NE or not, product page or in cart at checkout, not seeing it anywhere), so they show up as 45.99 for me (still GREAT deal).

same drives on amazon are 49.99 from goHDD (seller ive had good results with, on this specific drive). we all know this is one of the best (if not the best) 2/3tb drive make+model(s).
The failure numbers mostly come from backblaze, but do match my personal experience. Actually, backblaze estimates 30% annual failure for Seagate Barracudas, but I'm more conservatively saying 10%.

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
Wow, Less then 12hrs from org post and SOLD out.. NOOO I need 12 of these :(

FunkyWizard, you willing to sell me 7 of those so I can put my new Nas into production?

btw was these sold via newegg or 3rd party?

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
I emailed GoHarddrive with an offer for 13 @ 45 a drive. Will see if they will take it.

I'd rather not order drive via ebay in that sense. atleast go-hdd seems to have a good rep on taking back bunk drives and being quick about it.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
FWIW: the flash NewEgg deal has come in at least 2 waves within the last couple days. First wave I saw sold out in 5 minutes. 2nd wave came 2 days later. We can expect a 3rd wave.

One way to tell if a wave is coming is to go to flash.newegg.com and search on hgst. Upcoming HGST flash sales show up in search results, with start date and time, but do not using show as coming flash sales unlike some upcoming flash sales.

I would wait for another flash sale because the terms including liberal return policy are great.

Reactions: funkywizard

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
These are hands down the most reliable drives you can buy. I've lost count of how many I've used and have yet to have one fail, half of them have 60,000+ runtime hours on them. Backblaze's stats showed them having a smaller failure rate than any other manuf, and they were using the "worse" consumer Deskstar line, while these are the enterprise "ultrastar" line. buy while you can!

Reactions: funkywizard

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
I just was able to buy ONE more. They keep adding a few more which sell out in minutes. Keep an eye out on the page.

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
I could not disagree more with the praise for these drives or this deal. I've resisted this deal for like 3 months, even though i need drives badly. Obviously the price per GB is unbeatable, and HGST drives are between good and great. But make no mistake. You are buying drives that are well used, and likely to be near the end of their lives. So expect and plan for drive failures. If you need 12 of these, then buy 15 of them. Newegg, Monoprice, Ebay have been full of these drives recently. All from decommissioned server farms. Read a number of stories of large arrays of these failing and before the resilver can complete it loses another drive and wipes out the whole array.