Dell H330 with RES3TV360 - not working

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CKat

May 20, 2017
Hello,

I am building a storage server which has 24 drive capacity @ 12gbps (SAS3) (Athena Power RM-4U4243HE12 12Gb/s 4U Hot-Swap 24-Bay E-ATX Rackmount Server Chassis w/ 12 Gbps Mini-SAS Backplane Supports 24 x 3.5" or 2.5" SAS / SATA SSD / HDD - Support E-ATX (12" x 13") M/B - Supp - Newegg.com)

I have a Dell H330 SAS3 Raid Card, and I purchased the Intel Raid expander RES3TV360 so I can connect the 6 backplanes (the case has 6 backplanes which support 4 drives each).

If I connect 1 back plane directly to H330, it works fine. However if I connect the H330 to the Raid Expander, it throws an error.

Attached Enclosure dosen't support in controller's Direct mapping mode.
Please contact your system support
System has halted due to unsupported configuration

The error happens even if I just have 1 cable from H330 to the expander and nothing connected to expander, no disks or backplanes. So its not a backplane issue.

Any idea how to resolve this? Is the H330 not supported? Are there any jumper settings/ hidden config that I can do?

Thanks in advance!