WTS: 4/6TB 7.2k spinners

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
I recently had a chance to get some hgst pre prod. SAS/SATA drives (likely Ultrastars). Would anyone be interested getting some of these things at $10 per TB?

I've been running an array of them in my testbed zfs systems at home, and haven't had any problems so far (2 weeks). No smartinfo whatsoever, except drive identification info (serial and pn). No warranty, obviously.

I don't know if it's frowned upon to sell these, I thought I might as share some since I can't use it all.

Edit: Terms of Sale & pictures update

Drive Info
  • 4TB Drive: https://i.imgur.com/7AkFko8.jpg
  • 6TB Drive: https://i.imgur.com/yrspKLV.jpg
  • These are pre-prod. drives. Look at the label pictures.
  • No warranty whatsoever.
  • There are no smart information emitted from this drive. That means no temperature data, no hours on data, no power on hours data, etc. Only data I was able to get was PN/SN and manufacturer data.
  • These were manufactured in 2017. Check pictures for more info.
  • I've been running the 4TB spinners in ZFS napp-it for about 2 weeks (6gbps SM backplane), and I haven't encountered any issues yet.
Terms of Sale
  • Paypal only.
  • $10 per TB and $10 per shipment for USPS priority mail to continental US only. (example: 10 6TB drives = 10x6x10+10 = $610 shipped)
  • I am selling AS IS, considering they are pre-prod. drives. However, I will guarantee that they are not defective and will accept returns for 14 days from date of receipt if you find the product defective or you find the received product not representative of the descriptions you see/read here.

I will update quantities remaining as time goes. I am copy/pasting these terms of sale into the invoice; if you don't find them satisfactory, that's fine with me, no worries.

Qty remaining:
6TB: 0 available
4TB: 0 available

Last edited:

abq

May 23, 2015
I recently had a chance to get some hgst pre prod. SAS drives (likely Ultrastars). Would anyone be interested getting some of these things at $10 per TB?

I've been running an array of them in my testbed zfs systems at home, and haven't had any problems so far (2 weeks). No smartinfo whatsoever, except drive identification info (serial and pn). No warranty, obviously.

I don't know if it's frowned upon to sell these, I thought I might as share some since I can't use it all.
Hello,
I would like 10 of the 6tb drives. Will PayPal work with you? Thx, ABQ :)

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
Howmany do you have?
I have about 30 6tbs and 20 4tbs. 8 of the 4tbs are currently in my testbed. I may have some more next week (20 more 6tbs).

I'm replying to pms as quickly as I can, and in the order posted here. I'll invoice the persons with pictures and terms of sale.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The user is going to post pictures of drives and then use paypal ONLY. There is a ebay id that stretches back years.

Let me find it.

Here is his ebay ID: dkim5nu.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Please post your terms of sale in the OP as it's forum rules. The prices look great. Hopefully everyone here remembers the recent video card scandal and conducts their business in a safe fashion.

I got nailed by ole joshua prout on some hard drives a year ago. I only do Paypal now and only do Business to business paypal that way I'm protected.

The deal doesn't sound too outrageous, these are worn SAS enterprise hard drives. Not the best thing in the world but they are a killer deal.

I'm being offered 10 hard drives for $60 plus minimal shipping.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'm not claiming @patchate is a scammer at all, just reminding everyone to be safe as these sort of deals are the ones where people throw all caution to the wind. This looks like a totally reasonable sale.

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
I'm not claiming @patchate is a scammer at all, just reminding everyone to be safe as these sort of deals are the ones where people throw all caution to the wind. This looks like a totally reasonable sale.
The easiest way to remedy this situation is to increase the price of the sales product. Perhaps $20 per TB is a more reasonable number. :)

I'm updating the thread soon with more info. Considering these were pre prod. drives (aka "test" drives), I thought people would've preferred to be a bit more discrete, but I guess not.

Last edited:

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Just bought 10 6TB drives, used paypal, no issues or problems so far.

I know everyone is a bit gunshy with the latest Joshypoo siting, can't blame them, so far no problems and I'm covered by both paypal and my credit card company if things go south.

I can tell you that I'm gonna have a helluva long preclear session coming up...