Smoking (US) Aquantia 5G/10G Cards for cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Shipping on these suckers is ridiculous as well as trying to get a discount on them.
Do these work in linux? What is the chipset? Anyone have these?

anoother

Dec 2, 2016
Real shame these are not available in the EU/UK; I'd be picking a few up if they were.

No matter how they perform compared to enterprise offerings, the ability to exceed gigabit from a PCIe 1x slot would be super nice.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Do these work in linux? What is the chipset? Anyone have these?

They do have Linux support. They are using a chipset made by Aquantia. These are the same cards that have been released by asus and gigabit. Have one and have not had any issues with it

lucidrenegade

Dec 12, 2011
One distributor is in China. Another charges a ridiculous handling fee on top of shipping and sales tax. Arrow didn't even have their prices updated to the sale prices until this afternoon. I ordered two cards when their site said they had 15 in stock and got a confirmation that the order was successful. An hour and a half later I got a message saying they were out of stock and that my order had been cancelled.

I wrote an email to Aquantia's marketing person listed in their press release regarding this whole mess (low stock, shady distributors, etc.) and suggested they start selling their cards on a reputable site like Amazon. Not that it will make a difference, but it felt good to vent.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
They do have Linux support. They are using a chipset made by Aquantia. These are the same cards that have been released by asus and gigabit. Have one and have not had any issues with it
Just curious, what switch are you running with the NIC?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Have used it with both a unifi 16 xg and a NETGEAR xs708

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
No matter how they perform compared to enterprise offerings, the ability to exceed gigabit from a PCIe 1x slot would be super nice.
I agree, it would be great to get a 2.5Gb/s or 5Gb/s NIC in a PCIe v3 x1 slot. Unfortunately, the NBASE-T and MGBASE-T alliances can’t seem to agree on standards, so affordable switches have been slow getting to market.

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
I received an email from WPG Americas that my order has been cancelled because their online stock was incorrect. I was even willing to pay the handling fees and shipping. I believe my order was $250 total for 3 of the $69 10 Gb cards.

Caution to anyone ordering from that company in the future.

Reactions: JustinClift

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Got this from Arrow today. Unfortunately no low profile bracket:

Arrow is a large semiconductor/component distributor, selling cards like this is not their main business.
Now I need a switch to test 5Gb/s and 2.5Gb/s performance.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Installed in x1 PCIe 3 slot in HPE MicroServer Gen10 and server will not power on. :eek:
Off to try in another server.

mjygvfesz

Nov 14, 2014
I purchased one recently from amazon with prime shipping. Dropped it into my gaming computer and hooked it up to my Unifi 16-xg, got full 10g speed out of it. Not to bad for an 80 to 90 dollar card.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
I have 3 of the Asus cards and they are all running at 10G under Windows over Cat-5e. They had driver problems and used to disappear. It took a hard reboot with power off to get them back. The new drivers seem to have fixed this. I have another 2 of the Aquantia 5G cards but they are more problematic. I need to run them with a NBase-T compatible switch and I only have 2 of those. The 5G does not work with my Netgear XS708E but should work with my Netgear XS505M and Asus XG-U2008. The 5G would be handy on a board where I only have a 1x PCI-E slot.

I ran iPerf tests on the Asus XG-C100C and can confirm it manages 10G. I should check the latency but this is 10GBase-T so my expectations are not to use it for storage. If I can get my fiber terminated then I can stick with cheap SFP+ cards and try to use RDMA from Windows 10 clients back to the servers.

Reactions: William