Moved back in but long way to go!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Hi folks, just moved back into the house this weekend, reno on the kitchen has been inconvenient to say the least, stayed with relatives for about 6 weeks and still have a ways to go.

As soon as this get's done then the office will be redesigned, updated and ready to go for more gear, demos, etc and I will start with Nutanix Community Edition, then onto some QNAP NAS TS-1685 review etc.

I will also be building a 1950x Workstation around the new year so ton of content coming and hopefully I can spend more time here.

Here's the current status of the Kitchen:

1. Gutted
2. Vaulted Ceiling
3. Full Insulation (spray foam in Kitchen and celulose rest of the house, so much warmer already)
4. New Subfloor
5. New Mudroom entry and closet
6. New lighting (partially done)
7. New Doors (partially done)

Paint will be done this week, next week floors, island, countertops, then appliances, trim , etc. Hope to be done by mid-December. Good news is the messy part is somewhat over and I can start on my office refinish.

Updates to follow! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
The real question is what cabling/conduit did you run while you had the walls and ceilings open? :D

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Wifi for around the house stuff, Cabling just for the labs which is probably self contained in its own right?

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Wifi for around the house stuff, Cabling just for the labs which is probably self contained in its own right?
Exactly. I currently have the Unifi Cloud Key and some access points but will be moving to a mesh system after the 1st of the year.

I just don't need hardwire throughout the house with great wireless.

My 10Gb network is relegated to the lab and my office environment.

Here's the status of the office/media room and kitchen. Counters going in tommorrow, electric is about done and finalizing stuff before the holidays. Backsplash will be after the 1st of the year but most things will be done.

The right hand side of the office, the projector screen is coming down and an LG SUHD Nano Cell TV and Dolby Atmos Soundbar is going and of course the doors are being replaced, french doors with frosted glass grids for the intrance and a replacement of that pine door near the screen. This will also be where an UPLIFT desk is going to film my Youtube videos and should lower enough to watch movies..etc.

The kitchen, well that's another story..going on three months of pain.
Advice i'd give to those thinkin about remodeling, especially kitchen, be prepared for delays, additional costs, and eating from Hot Plates and restaurants. My stomach hasn't been right for three months now.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Nice.

I still like wired to a few key places, especially for media (i.e., behind the TV) or semi-fixed office desk.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
I still like wired to a few key places, especially for media (i.e., behind the TV) or semi-fixed office desk.
I do have one run in the living room for the TV but honestly, only used it once, and 4k content streams fine over wireless. If I didn't have Ubiquiti, i'd probably be telling you a different story.

My Office Workstation, Servers, and NAS are all connected 10Gb to a Netgear 708e.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I can tell you from having done many bathrooms and kitchens over the years, it's the heart and lungs of the home, disturb them and it's like having open heart surgery, everything goes on bypass! Just keep telling yourself it will be worth it...it never is, but keep telling yourself that anyway, it'll make you feel better :p:D

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Nest is up and Alexa skill is all configured on my echos around the house. Love it! Next is the Echo Show in the Kitchen then Home Hub for the entertainment media room!

ericmarshallu

Nov 15, 2019
If life was completely expected what would we really learn or get out of it? If everything always ... For the longest time, a lot was going my way…not everything, but a lot. I had a job that I ... I decided moving back home with family was the best thing for me.