Proxmox 5.1 released

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I recently started using Proxmox, so to get from 5.0 to 5.1 do I simply do:

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Thanks

*Edit: Oh maybe through GUI Updates? :S

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Upgraded a test machine from 5.0 to 5.1. No problem at all - sweet and easy. Simple machine, no ceph, no cluster. A couple of ZFS pools that needed a "zfs upgrade" to finish the job.

One interesting observation. The machine was part of my testing to see what it takes to run my NVR efficiently under Proxmox. Blue Iris is pretty taxing to KVM. This particular VM was running 50+% CPU utilization on 12 vCPUs (on a single socket E5-2630 v3). After the restart this same VM running the same cameras on Blue Iris was running ~30% utilization. No idea why except the upgrades KVM libraries...

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 went fine for me, FWIW.

On a separate note: Ubuntu's switch to Netplan, however, is borking my attempts to roll 17.10 LXC containers. Seems Proxmox didn't account for this change despite months of lead time.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
how do you remove the "no subscription" nag pop-up for Proxmox VE 5.1? I've found several different procedures in my own searches, mostly around modifying code in a javascript file, but it doesn't seem to work for the pve 5.1 test installation i have... ?

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
first you need to switch repo to no-subscription in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/"
there is a file "pve-enterprise.list" in there. I usually go in an comment out everything there.
than edit "/etc/apt/sources.list" and add a line "deb Index of /debian/pve/ stretch pve-no-subscription"
to it.

than , edit "/usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js"
find a line " if (data.status !== 'Active') "
and change it to "if (false) "

it works. I just tried it on my test setup.

Reactions: Patrick

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
first you need to switch repo to no-subscription in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/"
there is a file "pve-enterprise.list" in there. I usually go in an comment out everything there.
than edit "/etc/apt/sources.list" and add a line "deb Index of /debian/pve/ stretch pve-no-subscription"
to it.

than , edit "/usr/share/pve-manager/js/pvemanagerlib.js"
find a line " if (data.status !== 'Active') "
and change it to "if (false) "

it works. I just tried it on my test setup.
thanks for that. i do believe i took those steps, but i'll double check.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
thanks for that. i do believe i took those steps, but i'll double check.
If you did the edit to pvemanagerlib.js before you did the "apt update; apt dist-upgrade" step then you probably had APT undo your changes. The ProxMox team regularly updates the modification dates on this file so that it gets re-installed regularly as updates are applied. While their license terms can't stop you from suppressing it, they like their nag pop-up to work.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
If you did the edit to pvemanagerlib.js before you did the "apt update; apt dist-upgrade" step then you probably had APT undo your changes. The ProxMox team regularly updates the modification dates on this file so that it gets re-installed regularly as updates are applied. While their license terms can't stop you from suppressing it, they like their nag pop-up to work.
That might be the case. I'll check it again. However, I did set the immutable attribute to prevent it from being overwritten.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
That might be the case. I'll check it again. However, I did set the immutable attribute to prevent it from being overwritten.
that might not work. Proxmox might ignore the read only on update.
that is the only annoying thing about it , that you might need to update the script file after each upgrade.