ESXi: Moving VMs to another Datastore?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fahd

Aug 3, 2017
Hi again,

I am on ESXi 6.5 FREE version and would like to move a VM from Datastore1 to Datastore2 on the same host machine. VMs can be powered off and doesn't need to be a live migration.

How can I do this? I have googled but they all apply to the paid versions or refer to using a vsphere client that is no longer available.

I am still within the evaluation period and understand I can do this by using vmotion. But I am completely at a loss as to where to download this or which vmware product suite this comes under.

Thanks for any help!

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Install vCenter , you would have 60days ( eval license ) to move the VM.
Or
do export to OVA then import to the new datastorage.

If you copy the vm files, the vmdk files would turn into "thick provision".

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Like @Marsh mentioned you can install vcenter evaluation version and use it for a storage vmotion.

Or an alternative is to install OVF tool in your desktop and use it to move the vms. Basically it is an easier way of doing the second option using the command line. See this post for usage example. I used it to move to a datastore on a different host.

VMotion from Xeon D host to E3-1265 V2 host

zedascuras

Feb 15, 2015
You can also use veeam backup and replication free to do this.
Veeam Backup Free Edition for VMware and Hyper-V

From the website above:
"Migrate VMs without vMotion
Migrate a live VMware VM to any host or datastore, even if there is no cluster or shared storage implemented in the infrastructure."

Just install the software on a windows server, add the esxi server and move the machines. If not mistaken, you can move the machine powered on also, no need to shutdown the machine.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Fahd

Aug 3, 2017
Would that be vCenter Server? Approx 2.4 GB download? Thanks!

PS: Am I the only one that finds the VMWare product naming confusing?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
You can also use veeam backup and replication free to do this.
Be aware , veeam does not work with ESXi free license version. , but it would work with Esxi eval license.
Veeam crippled their backup software when dealing with Esxi free license.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Be aware , veeam does not work with ESXi free license version. , but it would work with Esxi eval license.
Veeam crippled their backup software when dealing with Esxi free license.
If going the eval route, could just add an eval vcsa and move it online.

If offline there are a few methods

#want to move to thin provisioning but not currently
vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volume/olddatastore/myvm/myvm.vmdk -d thin /vmfs/volume/newdatastore/myvm/myvm.vmdk

#copy data
cp -R /vmfs/volume/olddatastore/myvm /vmfs/volume/newdatastore/myvm

#move data
mv /vmfs/volume/olddatastore/myvm /vmfs/volume/newdatastore/myvm

If your doing thin provisioning currently i'm not sure if the cp or mv commands will preserve the thin provisioning....if not, you'll need vmkfstools.