BitScope Raspberry Pi Cluster for 3000 Cores in 30U

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Fun toy. I've use their 4-node rack at home. Note that the Odroid C2 fits perfectly on it and it has enough power to handle it.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
I really like this idea. I cannot wait until this becomes really mature server platform.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Not PXE (not sure that works on the C2 - I think only supported on XU4). I do have eMMC cards on all of them instead of using the SD.

My biggest gripe about the C2 is the lack of a stable mainline kernel build. Still stuck at 3.14, which means current docker builds don't work right. Though I do understand there may be hope for a stable 4.x kernel later this year.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
How does the networking work on it?
The 4-node racks distribute power. They also have pins on the reverse side to access the SGPIO pins normally used for various pi-hats and add ons. This cleans up a lot of cabling and hassle building a cluster.

But the network ports are still individual per pi-node (or Odroid-node, etc.). You have to cable each node to a switch. In the big 6u shelf shown in this article there are a set of Ethernet switches at the rear of the shelf with cables to each Pi and a pair of high-speed uplinks from the switch.