Mining with extra AMD CPUs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've got 2 4-Node AMD dual CPU chassis with 16 cores (8c each cpu) per-node / 64 chassis / 128 core total sitting around doing nothing... I need to heat my other office and was thinking about "pulling a @Marsh" and using the servers to do it.

I'll end up paying around 28 cents per-kWH. If I can reduce that by 50%, or rather accumulate 50% of that in some type of coin I'd be happy.

Is that possible? Or just sell those servers and get some GPUs?

I have RAM, spare SSD, etc, to run the servers now though.

100% new to mining, and don't want to spend much time configuring the software / OS on each so would prefer to do it once, and clone and repeat.

Thoughts? bad idea?
Someone want to trade me for a couple GPUs that could actually use this hardware?

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
a lot of this depends on the performance of your 8c CPU's. Can you share specifics?

As for the setup, if you decide to go this way I'd just do a docker swarm and use @Patrick 's easy Monero docker and be done with it. Very simple in a swarm.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
simple google searches show as of mid this year's difficulty you'll get around 4k hashes/second for all 128 cores. You can use that to figure out how much you'd make from a calculator.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
We both are in CA with high power cost.

Each month, I am lucky to break-even after paying power bill,
even happier if there is few hundreds dollars left to pay for hardware / toys.
Winter time is great to keep house warm, summer time is a bear due to excess heat.

You have new V3 or V4 CPU, as least the newer hardware let you break-even after power cost.

Edit, I mine and hold , hoping for the price jump to be profitable.

Reactions: Monoman

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I've got 2 4-Node AMD dual CPU chassis with 16 cores (8c each cpu) per-node / 64 chassis / 128 core total sitting around doing nothing... I need to heat my other office and was thinking about "pulling a @Marsh" and using the servers to do it.

I'll end up paying around 28 cents per-kWH. If I can reduce that by 50%, or rather accumulate 50% of that in some type of coin I'd be happy.

Is that possible? Or just sell those servers and get some GPUs?

I have RAM, spare SSD, etc, to run the servers now though.

100% new to mining, and don't want to spend much time configuring the software / OS on each so would prefer to do it once, and clone and repeat.

Thoughts? bad idea?
Someone want to trade me for a couple GPUs that could actually use this hardware?
Go into GPU or find a place with a better power cost. 28 cents per kWH is outrages why not colo? I'm just getting into mining as well with GPU's though but I have a 0.03 oddish per kWH. I think I can do CPU or GPU hmmm how much would you sell the node for maybe I can play with it for awhile since I have some power to spare.

Last edited: