Power Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I have the

BIOSTAR TB250-BTC PRO LGA 1151 Intel B250 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

and I have the

94% Platinum 750 Watt Power Supply Kit for GPU Open Rig Mining

How to I connect the power to the motherboard correctly. It does not seem to want to power on but I know the power supply works because the GPU's are powering on.

Current setup and will not power on.

Last edited:

ScootingCat

Apr 17, 2015
The 24-pin power connector next to the SATA ports needs a 24-pin power connection from the P/S. Looks like you only have an 8-pin connector attached to it?

Reactions: ELit3

ScootingCat

Apr 17, 2015
Doesn't your P/S have a 24-pin connector? (Edit: No it doesn't, I just looked)
Yes, a standard PC type power supply is what you need for the motherboard. The one you have is only for powering the multiple GPUs in a mining rig.

sd11

Jun 2, 2016
Won't work with that PSU. You'll need to use that mining one as a supplementary PSU for gfx.

o_O Hopefully your motherboard isn't shot from the wrong connection.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Doesn't your P/S have a 24-pin connector? (Edit: No it doesn't, I just looked)
Yes, a standard PC type power supply is what you need for the motherboard. The one you have is only for powering the multiple GPUs in a mining rig.
Won't work with that PSU. You'll need to use that mining one as a supplementary PSU for gfx.

o_O Hopefully your motherboard isn't shot from the wrong connection.
Would a pico power supply 160w mini atx work?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Would a pico power supply 160w mini atx work?
don't go cheap on the MB PSU or you will have real problem with stability and hardware longevity. Need at least 500W quality PSU for the MB since you are running it 24/7. 160w is barely enough to even turn on the MB with everything attached.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
don't go cheap on the MB PSU or you will have real problem with stability and hardware longevity. Need at least 500W quality PSU for the MB since you are running it 24/7. 160w is barely enough to even turn on the MB with everything attached.
I have a 750w power supply.

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
Don't know if anyone mentioned either, but the pinout for an 8pin CPU cable is different than an 8pin GPU cable. Can't say for sure, but it may have damage the motherboard running it with that psu.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Don't know if anyone mentioned either, but the pinout for an 8pin CPU cable is different than an 8pin GPU cable. Can't say for sure, but it may have damage the motherboard running it with that psu.
Shouldn’t the power cable come with the motherboard to power it?

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
The cable would be correct then, but the pinout on the PSU would be incorrect (which is what I should have really said from the get go). If you look at the pinout for a 8 pin GPU connection versus an 8 pin CPU connection you'll see the 12v and grounds are flipped when compared to each other. Also a CPU would be four 12v connections while a GPU would be three 12v connections.

Like I said, I don't know if this did anything to your Mobo/CPU but I personally would not keep trying.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Shouldn’t the power cable come with the motherboard to power it?
??
umm, hope i am not offending you by asking you if this is your first time putting together a computer build...

The answer is no. power cables come with the PSU and the 8pin CPU power cable is not the same as the 8pin video card power cable. There are places that offer to sell you adapter for this but stay away. CPU power cable are capable of putting out more power than GPU power cable. Yes, you do have to pay a bit more for PSU with dual 8 pin CPU cables but do not try any adapter.

But if you are only building single socket, it shouldn't really matter much because pretty much all PSU nowaday come with an 8pin CPU power cable in addition to the main 24 pin MB cable.

Make sure you do plug in both the 8pin CPU cable and the main 24 pin MB cable.

I thought that you can't plug in the GPU cable into the CPU cable port anyway due to different plug design layout anyway, but maybe i am wrong?

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
??
umm, hope i am not offending you by asking you if this is your first time putting together a computer build...

The answer is no. power cables come with the PSU and the 8pin CPU power cable is not the same as the 8pin video card power cable. There are places that offer to sell you adapter for this but stay away. CPU power cable are capable of putting out more power than GPU power cable. Yes, you do have to pay a bit more for PSU with dual 8 pin CPU cables but do not try any adapter.

But if you are only building single socket, it shouldn't really matter much because pretty much all PSU nowaday come with an 8pin CPU power cable in addition to the main 24 pin MB cable.

I thought that you can't plug in the GPU cable into the CPU cable port anyway due to different plug design layout anyway, but maybe i am wrong?
Yep this is my first time building one myself usually I get someone to build them for me however I figured I’d do this one myself for learning purposes.

I purchased this

Deep In The Mines High Power 24 Pin Mini-ITX Power Supply 160w like Pico PSU From deep the mines and hopefully this works.

Someone mentioned to me that this should be the adapter that I need to make everything work.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
The cable would be correct then, but the pinout on the PSU would be incorrect (which is what I should have really said from the get go). If you look at the pinout for a 8 pin GPU connection versus an 8 pin CPU connection you'll see the 12v and grounds are flipped when compared to each other. Also a CPU would be four 12v connections while a GPU would be three 12v connections.

Like I said, I don't know if this did anything to your Mobo/CPU but I personally would not keep trying.
Yes hopefully I didn’t because that board was expensive lol.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Yep this is my first time building one myself usually I get someone to build them for me however I figured I’d do this one myself for learning purposes.

I purchased this

Deep In The Mines High Power 24 Pin Mini-ITX Power Supply 160w like Pico PSU From deep the mines and hopefully this works.

Someone mentioned to me that this should be the adapter that I need to make everything work.
I would not trust this adapter thingy.

You need a dedicated separate PSU aside from the other PSU powering the GPUs. Don't try to use all these adapters.

looks on newegg. that's a good place to start. you can also use google and slickdeals.

i would recommend at least a 500W PSU for your MB. it comes with the 8pin CPU and 24 pin main MB connectors:

power supply, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, 500W - 599W, Power Supplies, Power Supplies, Components - Newegg.com

For a dedicated GPU PSU, depends on how many GPU you are using. 750W sounds a lot but it's barely enough for 3 GPUs. remember if you are using riser cables and having the GPU outside the cases, you have to figure in the fact that the riser is also supplying the power to the PCI-e slots.

A low quality PSU is asking for trouble esp for systems running full blast 24/7 for mining.

Start on newegg and look at the warranty section. I would go for things with 5 yr warranty. seasonic is a little expensive but they actually have some PSU with a 10yr warranty. that tells you how good they think their PSU is.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas

??

I would not trust this adapter thingy.

You need a dedicated separate PSU aside from the other PSU powering the GPUs. Don't try to use all these adapters.

looks on newegg. that's a good place to start. you can also use google and slickdeals.

i would recommend at least a 500W PSU for your MB. it comes with the 8pin CPU and 24 pin main MB connectors:

power supply, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, 500W - 599W, Power Supplies, Power Supplies, Components - Newegg.com

For a dedicated GPU PSU, depends on how many GPU you are using. 750W sounds a lot but it's barely enough for 3 GPUs. remember if you are using riser cables and having the GPU outside the cases, you have to figure in the fact that the riser is also supplying the power to the PCI-e slots.

A low quality PSU is asking for trouble esp for systems running full blast 24/7 for mining.

Start on newegg and look at the warranty section. I would go for things with 5 yr warranty. seasonic is a little expensive but they actually have some PSU with a 10yr warranty. that tells you how good they think their PSU is.
So I went out and got the power supply that was recommended but the Mobo still will not turn on.