EU Supermicro A1SRI-2758F Mini 8 Bay Server NAS Intel 8Core 32GB Quad NIC USB3 IPMI @ 450€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
nice one!
Not necessary only for Nas, also lightweight virtualization runs ,ok' on such a setup. have a 5018a-ftn4 for oob that runs proxmox, pfsense for vpn / access to ipmi net and a bit of monitoring without any problem.
Wonder what hba is in those boxes.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
yes, thats a sad limitation of this plattform. could be so nice for with just one more pcie x8
but still a nice low-power setup for smth like a nas or light hypervisor that needs decent storage.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Seems like a pretty good deal, ordered one, don't really need it though.
Might be worth buying to resell as parts.

By the way, anyone know, if Supermicro allow RMAing of boards bought on ebay?
I am of course thinking about the C2XXX Atom clock generator issue, if the board is not new enough to not have the fix.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Board:
5. 2x SATA3 and 4x SATA2 ports

=> Add On Card needed
=> no 10GBe Add In card

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
Maybe a HBA is included because it is not mentioned, that two hot-swap bays could not be used. And it's also a 60-GB-OS drive built in ... which can only be a USB device without additional HBA. But that's not mentioned either ...

We'll see. I got two for 350 GBP each and will report.

BTW, truncing 4x GB NIC would be more as enough for the intended use case for such an mini NAS imho.

Cheers.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Maybe a HBA is included because it is not mentioned, that two hot-swap bays could not be used. And it's also a 60-GB-OS drive built in ... which can only be a USB device without additional HBA. But that's not mentioned either ...
Pretty sure a HBA is included -- you can see an LSI SAS controller bracket in the PCI slot in the third photo!

Reactions: dtrv

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
Pretty sure a HBA is included -- you can see an LSI SAS controller bracket in the PCI slot in the third photo!
All boils down to the question what kind of HBA it is.

Does anybody know how to check if the CPU is affected by the bug?

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
Nice motherboard layout

Just too bad it only has 6 sata ports and 1 PCI-E slot :(
Then again, like someone said, 4Gbit is not that bad for a small home nas.

Last edited:

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the network connectivity.
Most people will want to install a HBA to use the 8 drives.
That just leaves you with 4x 1Gbit, as there is no 2nd PCI-E slot for a 10Gbit card

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
i never used one, but could a sata port multiplier work, at least for slow spinners ?
I can't say for sure but I strongly doubt it, Intel has a history of not supporting SATA port multipliers.