Aeon mining thoughts.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
This is not a how-to, just a basic guide to give you an idea on whats involved to mine it and my current thoughts on Aeon in general.

Aeon is coin based on cryptonight-light and is very similar to Monero, most of the miner programs that will mine Monero will also mine Aeon.

Its development is a bit behind Monero in use ability features and it does not have an official gui wallet, just the built in simple wallet.

There are far fewer exchanges for Aeon compared to Monero and to be honest I mine to keep all the coins I mine on the slim chance they will be worth something in the future.

But the disadvantages listed above give it one big advantage over Monero and that is it is mined by less miners and the the difficulty is far lower.

The mining hash rate for Aeon is about two to three times faster on the same hardware compared to Monero and that means the coins seem to roll in alot faster but of course right now its worth about %2 - %3 of monero.

My Dual E5-2667 V3 ES cpu mining Monero:

Same pc mining Aeon:

As you can see it mines at about 3 1/2 times the hash rate.

That might seem impressive but Aeon as I type this is about $2.10 each, so If you want to mine it to earn money you need to investigate the lack of a user friendly wallet, exchanges and the fees of the ones that will exchange it for Bitcoin.

But if you plan on holding for the future I think its a good bet to increase in value long term.

OK if your still interested in mining it there are a few issues, first to run the simple wallet you have to download the source files and compile and then run ./aeond and download the blockchain and it's just a gigs in size

One you do that you run ./simple wallet and just follow the prompts and it will create a new wallet and display the seed words, COPY AND PRINT THE SEED WORDS AND STORE IN A SECURE LOCATION OR YOU WILL REGRET NOT DOING THAT!!!!!

If you lose your seed words you cannot restore your wallet and the coins are gone and lost in the blockchain.

Also aeond's output is VERY verbose and will spit out tons of scary looking errors just ignore most of them. Also it seems to use up a lot of bandwidth if you want to run a full node.

I ran a full node for about a day, but I did not like doing that because of the bandwidth it was using.

So now I have decided to just run aeond every couple of days just to sync the blockchain and check my wallet balance and doing that it only take a few minutes.

I'll probably mine other coins as I find interesting ones to mine.

EDIT: I ran xmrig mining Monero instead of using xmr-stak-dev-cpu and updated the first picture to give a better comparison with both using the same program.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
What you will see running aeond.

The most common thing you will see is the notices on red, they are not errors, its just the blockchain doing its job and preventing the double spending of a transaction. It looks bad but its really a good thing.

The broken pipe error is I think a mis-configured node.

Reactions: Marsh

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Also use aeon-xmrig NOT aeon-stak-cpu since aeon-xmrig is almost twice as fast.

Edit: I should have posted "Also use xmrig NOT aeon-stak-cpu since xmrig is almost twice as fast."

I was setting up all my nodes and to differentiate between xmrig mining monero and aeon I created a folder called "aeon-xmrig" and ran xmrig from inside of that folder and had that stuck in my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
Nice succinct overview @Klee. I note that the GitHub page for aeon-xmrig states that it has been depreciated, and that xmrig should be used with the '-a cryptonight-lite' option instead. I am tempted to give this a go on the BSMC myself, if for no other reason than to see the bonkers hashrate that would result - somewhere north of 67kH/s according to the numbers you posted in this thread :cool:.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice succinct overview @Klee. I note that the GitHub page for aeon-xmrig states that it has been depreciated, and that xmrig should be used with the '-a cryptonight-lite' option instead. I am tempted to give this a go on the BSMC myself, if for no other reason than to see the bonkers hashrate that would result - somewhere north of 67kH/s according to the numbers you posted in this thread :cool:.
I have been thinking about trying to set up a pool this weekend. If we swapped XMR to AEON mining, we could probably have 3-4 % of the total hash rate with just a handful of. I think I can get 80-90KH myself.

BTW just so everyone knows, I did share with @Klee my Aeon xmrig mining image. It is generic so it will work with any pools and uses xmrig with -a cryptonight-lite.

Going to test it out for a day or two then release it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Balance says I should have been paid 2.1 AEON from a few machines running overnight. I started up the AEON node, started the simple wallet and there is a 0 balance and nothing incoming. :-/

Nero24

Jul 26, 2017
www.planet3dnw.de
Balance says I should have been paid 2.1 AEON from a few machines running overnight. I started up the AEON node, started the simple wallet and there is a 0 balance and nothing incoming. :-/
Have you waited till aeond synced with the network and downloaded the 4.5 GB blockchain? Took several hours in my case.
I've mined 0.67 AEON over night and the payment was well received after network was sync :)

Have you tried the command "refresh" in the simplewallet console?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Nero24 I think you may be right. I got this:

Code:
2017-Oct-11 06:14:11.004465 [P2P8]
You are now synchronized with the network. You may now start simplewallet.

Please note, that the blockchain will be saved only after you quit the daemon with "exit" command or if you use "save" command.
Otherwise, you will possibly need to synchronize the blockchain again.

Use "help" command to see the list of available commands.
And assumed it would work. Do you know if you can use simplewallet with a remote node?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ok simplewallet shortcut with --daemon-address <remote server : port> worked.

Looks like I should just setup a node somewhere in a data center for us to use.

Nero24

Jul 26, 2017
www.planet3dnw.de
Fine :)

Have you found a pool, where you can see your different rigs? With Monero I added the rig-name behind the wallet address in the miner's config, so I was able to see each rig separatly in the pool stats, its hashrate and the last contact time. The Aeon pools I've tried didn't have that feature sadly :(

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Fine :)

Have you found a pool, where you can see your different rigs? With Monero I added the rig-name behind the wallet address in the miner's config, so I was able to see each rig separatly in the pool stats, its hashrate and the last contact time. The Aeon pools I've tried didn't have that feature sadly :(
Not yet. That is true that it is a major feature missing on the Aeon side.

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
I selected an Aeon pool based on geographic proximity, and have dropped my mining cluster into it for a laugh. It is quite a small pool, and one thing that never occurred to me (but which is obvious in hindsight) is that a pool with a low aggregate hashrate (compared to something like dwarfpool) will discover blocks relatively infrequently. This makes for lumpy changes in your account balance.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I selected an Aeon pool based on geographic proximity, and have dropped my mining cluster into it for a laugh. It is quite a small pool, and one thing that never occurred to me (but which is obvious in hindsight) is that a pool with a low aggregate hashrate (compared to something like dwarfpool) will discover blocks relatively infrequently. This makes for lumpy changes in your account balance.
What is your aggregate mining size?

I somewhat want to try setting up a VPN-only pool for STH'ers. My estimate is that I have at least 80-90K worth of mining power available. If we had 4-5 of the XMR mining guys switch, we could easily make a top 5 worldwide Aeon pool.

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
What is your aggregate mining size?
Using xmrig I am getting 64-67kH/s. I will be pulling the mining cluster off-line around 21 October for 6-8 weeks however, so you might want to take that into consideration when planning your pool.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea I think I am at or around 90K at the moment with AEON. Not quite big enough to be 1% of total.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016

I meant xmrig not aeon-xmrig, so I edited the post.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I noticed the network hashrate is noticeably higher so maybe I should of kept this to myself. :p

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Transaction time for pool payout time listed on the pools website until it shows up in my wallet l fairly quickly, no more than about 7 or 8 minutes but I was not watching it too close because I was also doing other stuff so its probably a few minutes less than that.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Not a top 100 crypto is too small for my blood even when I'm feeling adventurous.

Almost no exchanges. Gotta be something else.