An Oracle ZFS Storage All in One Appliance for your Home Lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zhu

Nov 28, 2015
A few days ago, I saw a thread in this forum about a DIY Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance. I realized that my own experience on that could be interesting for others as not that much information are available on the net.

The beginning of the story is the Oracle ZFS Storage simulator for Virtual Box that you can download from Oracle. I gave it a try and really liked the efficient UI and most important the analytics part with so much option to see what is happening on your storage. After digging a bit, I realized that the simulator is the full software of Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance. I then started to investigate to see if it would be possible to use it under VMware ESXi.

The following are the steps that are needed for that.

First download the Oracle/Sun Storage simulator : Oracle ZFS Storage Simulator Downloads

Create a new virtual machine in ESXi. You will need to select at least virtual hardware 10 (ESXi 5.5 and above) as we will need a SATA controller for the VM. Select Solaris 11 as the guest OS. Give at least 2560 MB of memory to the VM. Remove the default hard drive and the "LSI Logic Parallel Controller" (as the ZFS-SA won't like it). Also add a SATA controller to the VM.

Unzip the downloaded file of the storage simulator. Upload "Oracle_ZFS_Storage-disk1.vmdk" to your ESXi host in the directory of the VM you have created above.

You will need to convert the vmdk file. If you attach it directly to the VM it will appear to work but whenever you will want to change your VM you will run into trouble. Login to your ESXi ht using ssh, go to the directory of the VM and use vmkfstools to make the conversion:

vmkfstools -i Oracle_ZFS_Storage-disk1.vmdk Oracle_ZFS_Storage-boot.vmdk -d thin -a sata

Add a new hard drive to the VM, select use an existing disk and select the "Oracle_ZFS_Storage-boot.vmdk" file and attach it to the SATA controller (if a LSI controller is created, remove it)

At that point the system won’t boot because the Solaris boot disk is not configured properly. In order to fix that I followed the instructions of RIAAN'S SYSADMIN BLOG

Boot from a Solaris image. In ESXi, remember that pressing ESC during boot will bring you the boot menu where you can select to boot from the CDROM. Select keyboard, language then select shell. The purpose is to set the right path for the boot disk

root@solaris:~# format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c2t0d0 <ATA-VMware Virtual S-0001 cyl 6524 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
/pci@0,0/pci15ad,790@11/pci15ad,7e0@2/disk@0,0
Specify disk (enter its number): ^C

"format" will give you the correct path, you then need to update ZFS-SA boot configuration

root@solaris:~# zpool import -f system
root@solaris:~# zfs list | grep root
system/ak-SUNW_ankimo-2013.06.05.4.0_1-1.7/root 1,64G 36,8G 1,63G legacy
root@solaris:~# mkdir /a
root@solaris:~# mount -F zfs system/ak-SUNW_ankimo-2013.06.05.4.0_1-1.7/root /a
root@solaris:~# zfs set readonly=off system/ak-SUNW_ankimo-2013.06.05.4.0_1-1.7/root

root@solaris:~# cp /etc/path_to_inst /a/etc
root@solaris:~# echo "setprop boot /devices/pci@0,0/pci15ad,790@11/pci15ad,7e0@2/disk@0,0:a" >>/a/boot/solaris/bootenv.rc

root@solaris:~# bootadm update-archive -R /a
updating /a/platform/i86pc/boot_archive
updating /a/platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive

root@solaris:~# umount /a
root@solaris:~# zpool export system
root@solaris:~# init 0

At that point, the ZFS-SA should boot correctly under ESXi.

Proceed with the basic configuration of the appliance. Connect to the web interface to perform the full setup.

Once the setup if finished, login into the appliance (you can use ssh for that). You will login into the appliance shell (named aksh). in order to get a "real" shell, type "shell" to get a bash shell.

First we need to make the root fs writable :

mount -o rw,remount /

Likely you will want to install the vmxnet3s driver. You can do it in the following way. Initiate vmware tool installation in ESXi. The CDROM won't mount automatically so the following steps are needed :
mkdir /tmp/cdrom
mount -F hsfs /devices/pci\@0\,0/pci-ide\@7\,1/ide\@1/sd\@0\,0:a /tmp/cdrom/
cd /tmp/
tar xzf cdrom/vmware-solaris-tools.tar.gz
cd vmware-tools-distrib
install -f /kernel/drv/amd64/ -u root -g sys -m 0755 ./lib/modules/binary/11_64/vmxnet3s
install -f /kernel/drv/ -u root -g sys -m 0644 ./lib/modules/binary/11/vmxnet3s.conf
add_drv -i '"pci15ad,7b0"' vmxnet3s

MTU for vmxnet3s on Solaris can not be set in a conventional way and the appliance will not like that so you need to edit edit "/usr/lib/ak/svc/method/akdatalink" and comment the following 3 lines
# if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
# dl_cfgfail "$1: could not set MTU $mtu"
# fi

VMware is not Virtual Box so for the web UI to look good, some more editing is needed. For that what's need to be edited are the platform hc topology and the platform xml description.

cd /usr/platform/i86pc/lib/fm/topo/maps/
cp VirtualBox-hc-topology.xml VMware-Virtual-Platform-hc-topology.xml

vi VMware-Virtual-Platform-hc-topology.xml

Replace ‘VirtualBox’ by ‘VMware-Virtual-Platform’

Correct the PCI path for the SATA disks to point to the correct location (as found when you made the vmdk file bootable)
:%s/pci8086,2829@d/pci15ad,790@11\/pci15ad,7e0@2/g

cd /usr/lib/ak/metadata/appliance/SUNW,ankimo/chassis/
cp VirtualBox.xml VMware-Virtual-Platform.xml
vi VMware-Virtual-Platform.xml

Replace ‘innotek GmbH’ by ‘VMware’ and ‘VirtualBox’ by ‘VMware-Virtual-Platform’

Reboot the appliance in reconfiguration mode.
reboot — -r

if it hangs, just reset it.

This is what you get

Last edited:

zhu

Nov 28, 2015
But you can go a bit further to get that which looks more like my home lab server :

If you you have a LSI SAS2008 HBA for instance, you can use passthrough to give it to the ZFS-SA VM. You have different chassis that are available in the appliance, you will find them under /usr/lib/ak/metadata/appliance/. They all have an .xml description. You can replace the content of VMware-Virtual-Platform.xml by the content of one of these files to get a different look. The one above is the SUN-FIRE-X4270-M2 SERVER.

You will also need to perform some editing to the hc topology file (/usr/platform/i86pc/lib/fm/topo/maps/VMware-Virtual-Platform-hc-topology.xml).

The hc-topology file for above configuration is the following :

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE topology SYSTEM "/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/topology.dtd.1">
<!--
Copyright (c) 2008, 2012, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
-->

<topology name='VMware-Virtual-Platform' scheme='hc'>

<range name='chassis' min='0' max='0'>
    <enum-method name='x86pi' version='99'/>
  </range>

<range name='motherboard' min='0' max='0'>
    <node instance='0'>
      <dependents grouping='children'>
        <range name='chip' min='0' max='100'>
          <enum-method name='chip' version='1' />
          <propmap name='chip' />
        </range>
        <range name='hostbridge' min='0' max='254'>
          <enum-method name='hostbridge' version='1' />
        </range>
      </dependents>
    </node>
  </range>

<range name='chassis' min='0' max='0'>
    <node instance='0'>
        <range name='bay' min='0' max='15'>

<!-- This part is for the disks that are on LSI SAS2008 HBA controller and are discovered through bay.so plugin -->
         <enum-method name='bay' version='1' />

<!-- The 4 last discs are on the virtual SATA controller -->
         <node instance='12'>
            <propgroup name='protocol' version='1' name-stability='Private' data-stability='Private'>
             <propval name='label' type='string' value='HDD 0' />
            </propgroup>
            <propgroup name='binding' version='1' name-stability='Private' data-stability='Private'>
             <propval name='occupant-path' type='string' value='/pci@0,0/pci15ad,790@11/pci15ad,7e0@2/disk@0,0' />
            </propgroup>
         </node>
         <node instance='13'>
            <propgroup name='protocol' version='1' name-stability='Private' data-stability='Private'>
             <propval name='label' type='string' value='HDD 1' />
            </propgroup>
            <propgroup name='binding' version='1' name-stability='Private' data-stability='Private'>
             <propval name='occupant-path' type='string' value='/pci@0,0/pci15ad,790@11/pci15ad,7e0@2/disk@1,0' />
            </propgroup>
         </node>

<node instance='14'>
             <propval name='label' type='string' value='CACHE 0' />
            </propgroup>
             <propval name='occupant-path' type='string' value='/pci@0,0/pci15ad,790@11/pci15ad,7e0@2/disk@2,0' />
            </propgroup>
         </node>

<node instance='15'>
             <propval name='label' type='string' value='CACHE 1' />
            </propgroup>
             <propval name='occupant-path' type='string' value='/pci@0,0/pci15ad,790@11/pci15ad,7e0@2/disk@3,0' />
            </propgroup>
         </node>

<!-- Catch the disks that may have been missed above -->
            <range name='disk' min='0' max='0'>
              <enum-method name='disk' version='1' />
            </range>
          </dependents>

</range>
      </dependents>
    </node>
  </range>
</topology>
if you have a SAS HBA managed by the appliance, you will use the "bay" enumerator to list the attached drives. For the bay enumerator to work, you need a "VMware-Virtual-Platform,bay_labels" file in the same directory as the topology file. Here is the file associated to above config :

Code:
# Copyright (c) 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
#
# Product Name: SUN-FIRE-X4170-M2-SERVER / Modded for VirtualBox
# Server Name: -
#
# Product : HBA : HBA Instance : Chassis Name : Chassis S/N : PHY : Label
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
VMware-Virtual-Platform:mpt_sas:0:SYS:-:7:SASHDD0
VMware-Virtual-Platform:mpt_sas:0:SYS:-:6:SASHDD1
VMware-Virtual-Platform:mpt_sas:0:SYS:-:5:SASHDD2
VMware-Virtual-Platform:mpt_sas:0:SYS:-:4:SASHDD3
VMware-Virtual-Platform:mpt_sas:0:SYS:-:3:SASHDD4
VMware-Virtual-Platform:mpt_sas:0:SYS:-:2:SASHDD5
VMware-Virtual-Platform:mpt_sas:0:SYS:-:1:SASHDD6
VMware-Virtual-Platform:mpt_sas:0:SYS:-:0:SASHDD7
Once you managed to understand it, this is really a great system.

One interesting point to mention in the context of a homelab use is that the ZFS-SA already has the persistant L2ARC cache found in Solaris 11.3 (but not the lz4 compression). So using a "large" SSD for your L2ARC if your server is not always on is not a waste of resources.

Hope the above tips will help others. Don't hesitate to point me to any error or possible optimisations.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Nice, pre-canned VMware ESXi appliance/ovf export please? :-D hahah

It has always bugged me why a GOOD open source zfs web gui was not avail...not saying your reversed engineered 're-opening of a re-closed source code stack' hacks will be condoned by Oracle HAHA

Sure we have napp-it, freenas, rockstor coming along nicely but why this brilliant piece of code from Sun engineers was never released is the EXACT reason why I despise Oracle...among another litany of reasons.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Any updates/progress potentially on a pre-canned stg appliance :-D

A man can dream right?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I came across this old thread while generally looking for ZFS options as I am having networking issues with my FreeNAS box. Oracle seems to have added a VMWare template download in addition to the virtualbox one. All the instructions provided along with it refer to VMWare workstation but I dont see why it can't work with esxi.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
yeah would love me some .ova file!!! rather than create an account and modify all this...

also.. I am assuming a bunch of those steps can now be eliminiated for esxi host if you download the vmware file vs the virtualbox version?

Thanks

Reactions: SlickNetAaron

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
would I also be correct in assuming that this will not import current openzfs / nappit pools since its solaris zfs?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
would I also be correct in assuming that this will not import current openzfs / nappit pools since its solaris zfs?
Correct, you cannot move Open-ZFS Pools v5000 from/to Oracle Solaris ZFS v.37

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
anyone have this fired up in an esxi 6 environment that would like to export an .ova for the cheering crowd???\

anyone.. bueler.. bueler...

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Oracle already provides an OVA file now that can be imported into esxi.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
Not in this decades budget...

The recommended minimum disk storage configuration for VMware vSphere 6.x includes:

A mirrored disk pool with the following configuration:
For models using high-performance (HP) disks:
Use at least twenty 600 GB 10,000 RPM HP 2.5-inch SAS3 hard disk drives (HDDs) — or
at least twenty 1.2 TB 10,000 RPM HP 2.5-inch SAS3 HDDs
with at least two 200GB SSD devices for LogZilla working with a striped log profile.

For models using high-capacity (HC) disks:
Use at least forty-four 8 TB 7,200 RPM HC 3.5-inch SAS3 HDDs
with at least two 200 GB SSD devices for LogZilla working with a striped log profile.
At least two 1.6 TB SSDs for Level 2 Adaptive Replacement Cache (L2ARC): Use a striped cache for both the HC or HP models.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Right now I don’t have a host with hba/disks available to pass through.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
to resurrect .. I have given this a whirl to see what it looks like... very nice..

very complex so still figuring things out.. likely wont be replacing napp-it unless I can get more compfortable with it...

is there a way to update this once setup from the OVA? or are we stuck with whatever version is in the ova simulator?

perhaps someone that has this up and running in their all-in-one can open a new thread somewhere and lets start documenting best practices and setup tips etc..

thanks guys

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Anyway someone could post an owncloud share or weblink to download the appliance just out of curiosity, not feeling the luv of going through a Oracle login/download. PM me if you think you can swing it.