128Gb RAM on Threadripper at 2400 Mhz. Can it be done?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RudeRubbish

Dec 5, 2016
Is a Threadripper build with 128GB unbuffered ECC RAM at 2400+ Mhz a realistic goal?
Threadripper only takes unbuffered RAM, which really limits my options.

here is my problem:

I can't do 4x32 Gb sticks because I can't find unregistered ECC 32Gb sticks, much less single rank ones.
I could do 8x16 Gb memory sticks, but with all 8 slots filled with dual rank, the max rated speed is 1866 according to this: AMD Threadripper System Buyer's Guide I have 2 4x16Gb kits on backorder, but it doesn't seem ideal to me.
I could possibly get up to 2133 if I found single rank 16GB unregistered ECC chips, but I haven't been able to find those either.

So, is there any path to get to 128GB @ 2400 Mhz or more on Threadripper other than buying a ton of memory sticks, finding a few that play nice together, and selling off the remainder?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
This is a real bad weakness for TR. without better support for ECC rams and higher mem capacity, they won't be able to compete with intel as effectively in the workstation market... TR 1950x has excellent potential for single socket workstation but this memory problem is a really bad problem. 1950x is too expensive for most people. i think WS market potential is excellent but this won't happen til this memory support is better.

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
I don't think luck matters so much now as it did in those first few weeks - when all the reviews were done.

I have 8x8GB sticks that run at 2800 completely stable (not ecc - but I don't think that will make much difference tbh).

If you go for ECC you may as well go all the way and try to get some 2667.

What motherboard are you going to use?

RudeRubbish

Dec 5, 2016
I don't think luck matters so much now as it did in those first few weeks - when all the reviews were done.

I have 8x8GB sticks that run at 2800 completely stable (not ecc - but I don't think that will make much difference tbh).

If you go for ECC you may as well go all the way and try to get some 2667.

What motherboard are you going to use?
I won't decide on a motherboard until I absolutely have to, but if buying today I'd get an ASRock Taichi x399.
I don't think 16GB ECC UDIMM modules are available at faster than 2400 (at least I couldn't find any).

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
I think I found 2667 ECC unbuffered at MrMemory, you might be better going to the channel rather than retail though, I've used InsightUK a few times for niche bits and they've been great.

RudeRubbish

Dec 5, 2016
I think I found 2667 ECC unbuffered at MrMemory, you might be better going to the channel rather than retail though, I've used InsightUK a few times for niche bits and they've been great.
Looks like the 2667 ones are only in 4 or 8 Gb. InsightUK seems to have the same 2400 Mhz models that I am already considering buying.