xmrig Monero Dwarfpool Image Testing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Klee just using it command. Then scripting a startup for each ATM.

2P AMD EPYC 7601 = just shy of 3900H/s right now.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
2x E5-2670 V3:
  • Wolf's 1100H/s
  • Stak: 1170H/s
  • xmrig dual instance: 1265H/s

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Blue in HTOP and what it means:

"There are two modes for CPU metrics reporting: the default one, and a "detailed CPU time" which can be enabled from the Setup screen (Display Options / Detailed CPU time). All of them show the percentage of time spent in different processes:

Default mode

• Blue: low priority processes (nice > 0)
  • Green: normal (user) processes
  • Red: kernel time (kernel, iowait, irqs...)
  • Orange: virt time (steal time + guest time)"

So I stumbled upon a way to force xmrig threads to run in a low priority, which means that if the system needs resources for threads that are higher priority then the xmrig threads will be force to give up cpu cycles.

Which is GREAT for a desktop use because you can keep mining and not have the system so unresponsive, of course the hash rate takes a hit but only when your doing stuff.

It makes xmrig kind of like a background task so you don't have to make a choice to run or not to run xmrig.

In the config.json file:

You change this from:
"cpu-priority": null,

To this:
"cpu-priority": "0x",

Im not really sure how useful it is in most cases, but its worth a try to see if it work for you.

With xmrig running on all 32 cores, yes I have enought L3 for that, it was not the most responsive desktop it was not completely useless but changing it from null to 0x made it more responsive.

EDIT: This is on a dual Xeon system and I have not tried it on a single cpu system. So your results may be different.

Also it might be useful for a moderately used server with some spare cpu cycles so you can still use it as a server instead of just dedicated for mining only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Dual Xeon Gold 6138 got another 3.4% just from going from single xmrig to dual, one for each CPU.

Very good gains overall.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Also does your hash rates seem to jive with your pools rates shown for you using xmrig?

Algeroth

Sep 29, 2017
Here is some interesting data with 2x E5-2698 V3's.
The logic on the threads is that the first threads are all physical cores, then spreading out to one hyper thread every four threads on the HT threads belonging to the same NUMA node.

On the 2x E5-2699 V4 system using a similar logic:
  • Wolfs = 1723H/s
  • xmrig across both CPUs = 1869H/s
  • xmrig using cpuset = 1920H/s
Thanks to @Klee for the information on this one!
using 2x stak for each socket 2x E5-2699 V4 2100H/s
using cores 0-21, 44,45,46
and 22-43,66,67,68

Dual Xeon Gold 6138 got another 3.4% just from going from single xmrig to dual, one for each CPU.

Very good gains overall.
dual xmr-stack again here 1710H/s

and i'm using two processes only because xmr-stak has limitation to 32 cores with nicehash...

will try that trick soon also on Epyc.7551

regards
A

Algeroth

Sep 29, 2017
Does anyone have a Skylake-SP thread for monero mining logic handy? Trying to get it down through trial and error but it is not easy.
drop me an info what You want to test ;)
i've got also some interesting observations on dual mining with aeon on purley's

regards
A

Algeroth

Sep 29, 2017
Blue in HTOP and what it means:

To this:
"cpu-priority": "0x",

Im not really sure how useful it is in most cases, but its worth a try to see if it work for you.

Also it might be useful for a moderately used server with some spare cpu cycles so you can still use it as a server instead of just dedicated for mining only.
nice/renice, is quite handy to acomplish that.

regards
A

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
dual E5-2650L V3 system
  • Wolf's: 869H/s
  • Stak (auto conf): 993H/s
  • xmrig 30T: 1008H/s
  • xmrig 2x 15T: 1034H/s

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
I have attempted to run the image on the BSMC, which runs a Docker swarm that I manage using Portainer, yet when I look at the status of individual nodes in the swarm, it appears the service runs for a short period of time, then it "completes". I am running a local registry, but this is highly unlikely to be the cause of the problem, as I have used it successfully to host Wolf's mining image in the past.

I note from @Patrick's first post that hugepages need to be enabled on the host. To do this, I have modified /etc/default/grub to include the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="transparent_hugepage=always"

then run "update_grub". After a reboot, running the command:

$ cat /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled

returns

[always] madvise never

Is there another step that I have missed out?

Edit: Reading the config.txt file of xmr-stak.cpu I note that there is a section that explains how to modify /etc/security/limits.conf to configure large page support. Is there a similar procedure for xmrig? Not sure if the fact that xmrig is being run in a Docker container changes things or not...

Last edited:

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
Log file attached. I am not quite sure what I am looking for, but there does not seem to be anything amiss that I can see. After piping the Docker log to a file however, there was one more entry that appeared on the command line:

./xmrig: unsupported non-option argument '20'

Which I daresay refers to the optional argument 'numthreads' I passed, along with 'startport'. Creating a service that uses nothing but the required wallet address and no optional arguments acts the same however - the container runs for a very short period of time, then is listed as complete. Rinse, repeat...

Attachments

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@RBE did you pull the latest image? Wondering if you picked up an older version that did not support all of those CLI options.

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
That would be pretty hilarious. I pulled the image per your first post in this thread @Patrick:

docker pull servethehome/monero_dwarfpool:xmrig

Which, incidentally, is not listed on your official repository page. I might be suffering from caffeine-induced brain-melt here of course....

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
You are correct @Patrick - my apologies. I pulled the xmrig image down earlier this morning so it must be the latest image. I will poke around and see if I cannot figure out what is going wrong.