Supermicro X9SCM-IIF nightmare

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Good Day,
I finally got my Supermicro X9SCM-IIF motherboard and it shipped with latest BIOS and IPMI firmware.
Ran memtest 24hours no errors, so ram looks good.

Issues now tried to Install VMWARE ESXi 5.1, the installation will begin start copying files, then during the installation around 20-25% the screen goes black then system reeboots. Tried installation a few sometimes off different install media incl usb flash drive.

When installating Windows 2008 R2 I first got error that windows cannot run on this hardware after initial installation progress and first reeboot. I later searched around google and discovered these bios settings:
Advanced > PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration > Launch Storage OpROM Policy > Legacy Only
Advanced > Chipset Configuration > Integrated IO Configuration > Detect Non-Compliance Device > Enable
Advanced > Boot Features > INI19 Trap Response > Postponed
This allowed me to install Windows 2008 R2, but on second or third reboot after doing all the Updates and everything the system will run fine, then all the sudden screen goes black and system rebooots (I turned off automatic reboot, and no bluescreen, just system goes off and reboots).

Full system specs below;
Silverstone STX 450Watt Gold Power Supply
Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G 16GB 2X8GB Kits DDR3-1333 CL9 DIMM ECC Dual Channel Memory
Supermicro X9SCM-IIF LGA1155 DDR3 ECC 4PCIE 6SATA 2GBLAN IPMI Video mATX Motherboard
Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 Quad Core Processor 3.3GHZ 8MB LGA1155 69W
Intel RST RAID10 WD VeliRaptors 500GBx4, also test single raptor no raid (AHCI, IDE Mode)

IPMI Firmware (latest available) R 1.60
BIOS Version R 2.0a

Windows 2008 R2 error screen "Windows Setup Could not configure Windows to run On this Computer's Hardware"

I would greatly appreciate some guidance, supermicro never replied to my email its been a few days.

Cheers!

Last edited:

MaxCFM

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger!
Apr 11, 2013
Atlanta,GA
I have one of these MBs sitting here waiting for me to build my new storage server. Seems I'm short a power supply to get it running at the moment. So a few basic questions what does the CPU temp look like in BIOS? if you leave it sit in BIOS does it do the same thing? Without being able to get into mine is there an OS Watchdog timer setting in your BIOS? If there is disable it. Does that fix it?

I will try to swing by a store tonight and pick up a power supply for mine so I can play along :)

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I have one of these MBs sitting here waiting for me to build my new storage server. Seems I'm short a power supply to get it running at the moment. So a few basic questions what does the CPU temp look like in BIOS? if you leave it sit in BIOS does it do the same thing? Without being able to get into mine is there an OS Watchdog timer setting in your BIOS? If there is disable it. Does that fix it?

I will try to swing by a store tonight and pick up a power supply for mine so I can play along :)
I tried disable watchdog and same results. CPU Temps look good to me. To make things even more fun I even tried a Seasonic X-850 powersupply and same results. I dont think its bad board, I am guessing I am doing something wrong with BIOS.
Even did F6 to use latest INtel RST x64 drivers for RAID.

Last edited:

MaxCFM

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger!
Apr 11, 2013
Atlanta,GA
I tried disable watchdog and same results. CPU Temps look good to me. To make things even more fun I even tried a Seasonic X-850 powersupply and same results. I dont think its bad board, I am guessing I am doing something wrong with BIOS.
Even did F6 to use latest INtel RST x64 drivers for RAID.
So it behaves the same way if its just sitting at a BIOS screen? Have you sat and timed how long it takes is it always the same? Pulling up the manual there is also a Watchdog jumper as well page 2-33 make sure it is Open (i.e no jumper) Also is there anything in the Smbios event log?

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
So it behaves the same way if its just sitting at a BIOS screen? Have you sat and timed how long it takes is it always the same? Pulling up the manual there is also a Watchdog jumper as well page 2-33 make sure it is Open (i.e no jumper) Also is there anything in the Smbios event log?
I turned off the WatchDog Using Jumper no jumper disabled. Dont see anything in the logs.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is very strange. There has to be something in the BIOS not working properly. The X9SCM-iiF is a platform with very well supported hardware in Windows and ESXi. Never seen anything like that with Server 2008 R2.

Let me ask a question - do you have another machine you can install Server 2008 R2 on? Would help troubleshoot if the OS image could be installed on a different machine, then the drive used on the X9SCM-iiF successfully. I had to use that trick many times with Windows Server 2012 installations in various servers.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Reset BIOS to default values? Sounds like you have something wrong in one of the advanced settings. Can't imagine this.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Good Day,
I finally got my Supermicro X9SCM-IIF motherboard and it shipped with latest BIOS and IPMI firmware.
Ran memtest 24hours no errors, so ram looks good.

Issues now tried to Install VMWARE ESXi 5.1, the installation will begin start copying files, then during the installation around 20-25% the screen goes black then system reeboots. Tried installation a few sometimes off different install media incl usb flash drive.

When installating Windows 2008 R2 I first got error that windows cannot run on this hardware after initial installation progress and first reeboot. I later searched around google and discovered these bios settings:
Advanced > PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration > Launch Storage OpROM Policy > Legacy Only
Advanced > Chipset Configuration > Integrated IO Configuration > Detect Non-Compliance Device > Enable
Advanced > Boot Features > INI19 Trap Response > Postponed
This allowed me to install Windows 2008 R2, but on second or third reboot after doing all the Updates and everything the system will run fine, then all the sudden screen goes black and system rebooots (I turned off automatic reboot, and no bluescreen, just system goes off and reboots).

Full system specs below;
Silverstone STX 450Watt Gold Power Supply
Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G 16GB 2X8GB Kits DDR3-1333 CL9 DIMM ECC Dual Channel Memory
Supermicro X9SCM-IIF LGA1155 DDR3 ECC 4PCIE 6SATA 2GBLAN IPMI Video mATX Motherboard
Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 Quad Core Processor 3.3GHZ 8MB LGA1155 69W
Intel RST RAID10 WD VeliRaptors 500GBx4, also test single raptor no raid (AHCI, IDE Mode)

IPMI Firmware (latest available) R 1.60
BIOS Version R 2.0a

Windows 2008 R2 error screen "Windows Setup Could not configure Windows to run On this Computer's Hardware"

I would greatly appreciate some guidance, supermicro never replied to my email its been a few days.

Cheers!
Try another PSU, sounds PSU related to me if it's not watchdog.