Sun Oracle F40 400GB PCI-e SSD - 65$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is a nice find. Almost worth getting another one just as a spare to pull drives if needed.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
They also accepted my offer of $60 each for three of them.

Update: their rates to Europe aren't exactly the best...can't get everything I guess.

Last edited:

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
What kind of endurance do these have?
Haven't found that in any documentation but they have eMLC and quite a significant amount of overprovisioning. I'd hazard a guess of 10DWPD for five years.

They are however not the most reliable in my experience so Patrick's suggestion of spares is very apt. The good part is that you can just replace an individual drive (there are 4x 100G) on the card so one spare card can go a long way. The bad is that based on how many people were complaining in prior threads it's not unlikely you'll need to replace parts sooner rather than later (at least compared to other drives).

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
Price is certainly attractive, but x8 PCI express slots seem so valuable now aday with the price of nvme drives being at or lower than sata. Also not sure if just a cheep 8 port sata hba with a bunch of ssds wouldn't be better performance wise. sure would cost more but you wouldn't have to deal with propitiatory drive connections. Do these Sun Oracle F40 have power loss protection

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Price is certainly attractive, but x8 PCI express slots seem so valuable now aday with the price of nvme drives being at or lower than sata. Also not sure if just a cheep 8 port sata hba with a bunch of ssds wouldn't be better performance wise. sure would cost more but you wouldn't have to deal with propitiatory drive connections. Do these Sun Oracle F40 have power loss protection
I don't have one, but I've been considering one for a while. One of the attractions about this is that it's not proprietary; it shows up as a LSI controller with 4x SSDs attached to it. Many OSes already natively have the driver for the LSI controller so it's easy to get going; and I think this also means you can boot off this card. I never got one of these, but I did get a few Fusion-IO cards, which are great in their own right, but they require special drivers, and hence also can't boot.

this is very tempting... but i'm telling myself I'll hold off unless the buyer accepts $50/each.

Reactions: roswellian

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
sure. By propitiatory I mean that when these disks on these fail you'll be replacing them with more disks like these, instead of just sata disks

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
I got a counter offer of 3x$60. trying to decide if these are worth it for a proxmox store. I do get what he's saying...

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I am curious what are the replacement storage for this would be?
what kind of cards are onboard?

can't seem to find the specs...

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Why not use a regular HBA for SATA?? Or no drive slots?
that is what i am using now. but my setup is a SuperMicro 846 4u 24 bay case.
it only supports 3.5 drives. I have rigged a2.5 cage inside the case to hold my SSDs but it is a hoge-podge job.
that a card converter like this would solve, for me :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
There are SM 3.5 to 2.5 slot adapters for $15 each ;)

You also can get the extra drive kit which can hold 2x2.5 or maybe even the Hot Swap rear Kit for another 2 drives - depending on your chassis revision :)

Reactions: Monoman