Chelsio T320 dual SFP+ & 2 transceivers - 32 $

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
[edit 10/05 - new link] US: Chelsio 10GB 2-Ports PCI-e Opt Card (LP Bracket) PCI-E w/Transcivers 110-1088-30 | eBay
same card, with 2 transceivers and both brackets for 32 dollars.

[edit 10/05 - new link] EU: Chelsio CC2-N320E-SR 10GB 2-Ports Network card PCI-E 110-1088-30 High Profile
same card, high profile bracket, no extras 30 euro free shipping worldwide.

>Here< is what I think is the spec sheet of this card (correct me if I am wrong).
I have 2 of the Finisar SFP+ transceivers and can confirm they work well with this card
Have tested with pfsense, freenas, w7, w10, w2016 and esxi 5.5, no issues encountered.
For people looking to use these under Windows 7 / 10, the driver is a bit harder to find:
-> Chelsio Communications, Inc. Software EULA <-

Important: Keep in mind that the cards tend to get hotter than the Mellanox cards, so you may need some airflow on them.

This is a better deal than what I paid for them back in the day.
The guy is also accepting offers, if you get one accepted, post the price here for others to see! :)

P.S: I am still looking for some high profile brackets for these cards.
If anyone buys these and wants to sell me some high profile brackets, let me know and I would appreciate it! :D

AKA 320E-LP-CR. Do note that these generate quiet a lot of heat and draw like 15-20W
They are N320E cards, and the specs are here:
https://www.chelsio.com/assetlibrary/products/N320E Product Brief 090630.pdf
Power consumption is 14W.
So, that makes it 7~8W more than the Mellanox ConnectX-2 dual port.

Last edited:

AFisher

Jun 2, 2017
if you have a switch that supports it, can you port bind these? as in LACP? I'm new to fiber, and 10G so please excuse my ignorance!

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
I have not tried it, but I do not see why it would not?

edit: Googled around a bit, if I am correct in assuming that >this< is the correct spec sheet for it, then yes, 802.3ad is supported.

I've put the link to the sheet in the OP, and will keep it updated if anyone else has any useful info on this item and/or the sale.
If this sale dries up, I will find another good one, as this is imo the cheapest way to get into dual SFP+ networking cards.

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Chelsio drivers were shipped with most bsd systems, so that you could use the nic "out-of-the-box". For connect-x nics you had to download the driver packages from the Mellanox website (for bsd) or enable the mlnx4 driver in linux kernels.

Reactions: Kneelbeforezod

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Actually both the Chelsio and Mellanox driver are included in the FreeBSD source, you just have to compile them and load them as kernel modules. None of them work by default unless the kernel is compiled with them enabled. No need for downloading.

For Chelsio you find the driver at /usr/src/sys/modules/cxgb
For Mellanox /usr/src/sys/modules/mlx4

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
So, trying to find some facts about power consumption here...

Based on this: https://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/user_manuals/ConnectX-2_EN_user_manual.pdf

page 35: MNPH29C-X[ST]R has typical power consumption of 6.43W w/ passive cables, 7.83W with active cables. Maximum power consumption is 7.08W with passive cables, 8.48W with active cables.

I can't find any information about the Chelsio T320 mentioned in the OP. But searching based on the description, (things like SKU, PCI-E 3.0 interface), I keep getting referred to T520-CR??? The specifications on the T520-CR:

https://www.chelsio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/T520-CR-PB.pdf

mentions: Typical power consumption: 12W

strangely, netgate also mentions the T520-CR, but with a different power consumption:

Chelsio T520-CR Dual port 10 GbE Ethernet Adapter

they claim: "Typical power consumption: 9W"

Anyway... not sure about the specs on the Chelsio as I'm not sure what card is being sold in the OP's ebay listing. If it is the T520-CR, I think I trust chelsio's documentation over netgate. Making all those assumptions about what we're talking about here, the comparison would be 6.43~7.83W for Mellanox vs 12W for Chelsio. So, definitely more power consumption with the Chelsio, but the difference is at most 5.57W ? Relative to total power consumption of a system, I think it's a minor consideration (you would save more power turning off the BMC on your motherboard than using a Mellanox vs Chelsio 10Gb dual port NIC)

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I couldn't get the ConnectX-2 to work reliably with vlan and LACP in FreeBSD (ES-16-XG switch) . Replaced it with Solarflare SFC9020 which worked fine.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Actually both the Chelsio and Mellanox driver are included in the FreeBSD source, you just have to compile them and load them as kernel modules. None of them work by default unless the kernel is compiled with them enabled. No need for downloading.
Would you happen to have the necessary compiled drivers/kernal modules for the Chelsio for Pfsense? It would help me tremendously.

foxxiu7

Dec 26, 2016
Does this card support SRIOV and RDMA (esp. for HyperV 2016)?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk