Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
The press release I read said they are shipping to suppliers now and should be available to purchase soon.

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
So the 40mm Noctua arrived. Nice packaging with lots of accessories.

Unfortunately, it turns out my Gigabyte Xeon D-1521 board actually has a 50mm fan with 40mm mounting holes, as opposed to this 40mm Noctua with 30mm holes.

Measure twice, cut once, I guess. Anyone have any 50mm PWM fan recommendations?

Ellwood

Nov 20, 2016
I did a zip tie around the screw tight with another zip tie in the loop, then that zip tie, I fed through the fan holes. I put the 60 on the CPU (I had the same idea you did, and realized it was a 50mm on the ASRock 1540 I have). I did use the 40mm on the network heatsink since that thing gets pretty warm, too

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
I ended up buying the 60mm Noctua PWM fan. It fits the heatsink and is larger than the 50mm fan that came with the motherboard. However, the old fan attached to the heatsink by using screws that basically threaded themselves into the fins of the heatsink.

Because of the design of the heatsink, there are cutouts where the 60mm attachments should be. This is where the heatsink attaches to the motherboard. Therefore, there is no good way for me to attach my 60mm fan to this heatsink even though it gives 100% coverage. That said, it is just sitting on top of the heatsink and doing a fine job of keeping everything cool without the added noise of the old fan.

Perfectly happy with these new Noctua fans. Wish the included Gigabyte heatsink was better, but I don't move my server much so it shouldn't matter.

The board I'm using for reference: MB10-DS1 (rev. 1.3) | Server Motherboard | GIGABYTE

Razvan

Aug 4, 2015
Getting ready to replace the stock cooler on the X10SDV-TLN4F with the CoolJag BUF-E and transferred the original screws to the new heatsink.

I read about people using thermal paste or the stock TIM from the BUF-E with mixed results. While the decrease in cooling could be traced to the less powerful replacement fan (usually noctuas), the optimal way of interfacing the cpu/heatsink is not very obvious. In this stage I am not factoring the cooling from whatever fan+duct is employed, just the transfer efficiency from cpu to heatsink.

The TIM on the replacement heatsink seems to have the same size as the one found on the stock cooler (~25x25mm). On the other hand, the cpu heat spreader of the 1541 is ~33x30mm so removing the original interface material and using fresh thermal paste on the whole surface should yield better results. Also, the BUF-E has etched grooves around the TIM and switching to paste would remove the slightly extra height* and help make better contact between the two surfaces.

(*) The thermal pad on the BUF-E is thin but I doubt that, under pressure, would spread better than Arctic MX-2 and also fill the grooves.

Regarding tightening force -- on the stock heatsink the screws cannot be tightened past the point of the retention groove making contact with the motherboard. The same should be true for the custom cooler since the width of the BUF-E's baseplate seems to match the one from the stock heatsink. I didn't use the plastic washers found on the supermicro heatsink, will see how it goes after deciding on the thermal interface.

Any comments or suggestions?

maxu

May 29, 2017
Hi all,
There are several VGA cooling solutions that go near the 51 x 51 mm alignement.
Has anyone tried - let's say:
- Acceleron Mono Plus, from Arctic Cooling
- VF900-Cu, from Zalman

Or any other similar ones? I'd give a try for the Zalman one, especially since it has a lower footprint

scline

Apr 7, 2016
Has anyone been able to order or find the passive stock heatsink for a xeonD processor? I currently have the active one and wanted to switch it out (use baffles for airflow).

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Here is my mod for my ASRock Xeon-D board. 3D printed a 60mm to 50mm fan adapter and it would fit nicely in a 2U case sporting the 60mm Noctura PWM fan.
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG

More pictures to follow after install.

Discodave

Jun 22, 2017
Cambridge
Hi all,
There are several VGA cooling solutions that go near the 51 x 51 mm alignement.
Has anyone tried - let's say:
- Acceleron Mono Plus, from Arctic Cooling
- VF900-Cu, from Zalman

Or any other similar ones? I'd give a try for the Zalman one, especially since it has a lower footprint
Would also like to know this. I have a feeling that there's not enough clearance on the mono plus though.