cheap Ryzen TR 1950X killer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
so what's the cheapest solution right now to beating this new AMD beast?

I think right now the cheapest would be the dual e5-2696 v2. which will just slightly outrun the AMD beast for multicore as well as being cheaper platform and memory but will of course get cleaned by AMD when it comes to single core use. power usage wise, AMD of course wins hand down.

I am glad we finally see AMD competitive again. I hope this technology will make it into their multi CPU chips soon. then hopefully we will see more trickle down effect.

Patrick, are you preping for a review of this killer CPU soon? please compare it also to cheaper older (less power efficient) alternate solutions. thanks

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
I think if your not considering used equipment, its extremely hard to beat a TR system right now. If anything the 128GB memory limit on the currently available motherboards could be an issue for some, corrent boards support ECC, but only unbufferd dimms AFAIK

Will be interesting to see how 1S Epyc systems compare to TR price/perf wise, 1 TB memory limit and 128 PCIE lanes will definatley appear an attractive alternative to TR where single cores clock speeds are not as critical.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I think if your not considering used equipment, its extremely hard to beat a TR system right now. If anything the 128GB memory limit on the currently available motherboards could be an issue for some, corrent boards support ECC, but only unbufferd dimms AFAIK

Will be interesting to see how 1S Epyc systems compare to TR price/perf wise, 1 TB memory limit and 128 PCIE lanes will definatley appear an attractive alternative to TR where single cores clock speeds are not as critical.
you can have a lot more than 128GB on most 2011 v1 server boards. For example S2600CP MB has 16 dimm slots so you have to use the more expensive 16 or 32 gb or load reduced modules instead of the cheaper 8GB if you need to go higher than 128gb.

I mean even though a dual 2696 v2 system would beat a TR 1950x in term of raw multicore cpu computing, it is still not quite that cheap. at least not the way dual 2670 v1 was compared to intel core extreme parts... so yes AMD is definitely set to change the landscape. If only DDR4 was that much cheaper, then there might be good reason for even us people on a cheaper budget to even thinking about forgoing older hardwares...