Supermicro X11SSM-F New BIOS 2.0b and IPMI Firmware 1.37 - What are the changes?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joeschmuckatelli

Aug 15, 2017
Norther Virginia
A few days ago Supermicro came out with a new BIOS and IPMI firmware for the X11SSM-F (and other) motherboard. I really with Supermicro would include the details about the changes in the upgrades but they do not. So I'm looking for information on what changed for both pieces of software.

Additionally I have a side question... Is there anyway to change the motherboard serial number within the BIOS from "0123456789" to the real serial number of the motherboard? Right now I look at the box the motherboard came in but it sure would be nice to read it from the IPMI.

Thanks,
-Joe

K D

Dec 24, 2016
With the Java IPMIview app, you can edit the serial number and other information in the FRU tab.

joeschmuckatelli

Aug 15, 2017
Norther Virginia
That is outstanding! When I first installed IPMIView it failed to run on my system. I'm sure several versions later it works like a champ today. So I just changed my serial number and a few other small things, this sure saves me looking for the box.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I'd hope that this contains a microcode update to solve the Skylake and Kaby Lake hyperthreading issue. There was a public microcode release for Skylake only (which works), but we were told that the Kaby Lake fix would be distributed to OEMs only.

Is there a change log?

joeschmuckatelli

Aug 15, 2017
Norther Virginia
Here is the changelog.

Enhancements:
1. Changed BIOS revision to 2.0b.
2. Updated Intel Kaby Lake RC/SI package 4.1.0.6 PLR2.
3. Updated DT_P_123 for Kaby Lake-S B0 stepping microcode M2A906E9_0000005E and Skylake-S R0/S0 stepping MCU M36506E3_000000BA.
4. Set enabled SATA Hot Plug as default.
5. Added support for new Micron ECC_On_Die chip(I-Die).
6. Displayed SGX-related items.
7. Updated Kaby Lake BIOS/SINIT ACM 1.2.0.
8. Added SumBbsSupportFlag into DAT file.
9. Added TPM PCR measurements for PCR[1], PCR[2], and PCR[6].
10. Removed the "Unrecoverable Media control failure" event log from BMC.
11. Added a workaround to clear onboard LAN device UR, CE status.

New Features:
None

Fixes:
1. Fixed problem of valid bit being checked before IPMI CMOS clear flag.
2. Fixed system reset or hanging after Watchdog function is enabled during BIOS update.
3. Fixed issue of SUM TC306 and TC317 failing in certain configuration cases.
4. Fixed inability of the system to enter "Recovery mode" automatically if BIOS ACPI table in the Main Block is corrupted.
5. Fixed issue of system halting at 0xB2 when disabling JPG1.
6. Fixed incorrect CECC DIMM location being reported in BMC SEL log.
7. Fixed problem of IPMI device _CRS being reported as 0xca2 or 0xca3.
8. Fixed problem of "file size is zero" error occurring when using SUM in-band command "GetCurrentBiosCfg".
9. Fixed inability to find correct Memory CECC DIMM location through SD5.
10. Fixed problem of "No DIMM Information" showing for Memory CECC in Event log of BIOS Setup.
11. Fixed problem of recovery from JBR1/FFS Check hanging at 0x90.

Product Name: X11SSM-F/X11SSL-F
Revision: 1.37 Previous Revision: 1.13
Release Date: 5/8/2017
Update Category: Recommended
Dependencies:
None
Important Notes:
None

Enhancements:
1. Added status of N/A for IPMI WebGUI "VcpuVRM Temp".
2. Changed copyright from 2015 to 2016.
3. Addressed unexpected IPMI events during RHEL 7.x installation.
4. Added recovery mechanism for IPMI firmware.
5. Changed layout of SNMP Web UI.

New Features:
1. Added Redfish support for new APIs.
2. Added support for SEL circular buffer.
3. Changed naming rule for 10G/40G.
4. Added support for HTML5.
5. Added support for Redfish.
6. Improved WebGUI.

Fixes:
1. Fixed problem of some digit keys not working when French keyboard layout is selected.
2. Fixed inability to create RAID on IPMI web.
3. Applied MP2955 patch.
4. Fixed problem where SUM can't test and BMC configuration fails.
5. Fixed problem where running SMSTC fails.
6. Fixed missing activated OOB License when updating firmware from ~1.22 to 1.23-1.24.
7. Fixed problem of dmiinfo failure after 1000+ cycles.
8. Fixed failure of SUM test in and SUM 1.6.1.
9. Fixed problem of gateway change failure.
10. Fixed inability to access GUI by IPv6 address when both "web port" and "web SSL port" are enabled.
11. Fixed incorrect sensor ID for CPU and chassis.
12. Fixed problem of sensor name in alert mail not matching Web Event log for Overheat, Chassis Intrusion, and Power Fail.
13. Fixed inconsistent GUI content descriptions, help messages, and titles.
14. Fixed failure of IPMI Web to show add-on card sensor reading.

Reactions: niekbergboer

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
There is another serious bug, this time concerning Intel's SGX that allows privilege escalation i.e. caper the machine from low privilege code. Also soon to be fixed by a microcode update. See: NVD - CVE-2017-5691 It is easy to see how the ultra complex instruction set that "x86" has become together with its many extensions is creating alot of problems even for its inventor now.

joeschmuckatelli

Aug 15, 2017
Norther Virginia
Thanks. Question, how are you getting the changelog? I would like to see the latest changelog for my X11SAT-F.

Vidmo
You need to send the Supermicro Tech Support an email asking for the change log. One would think they would post it in the readme file with the firmware but nope, they just don't do that. If you don't get an answer within 2 working days then send a second email.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
What memory are you using for X11 motherboard?
I was looking for 4GB (Micron MTA9ASF51272AZ-2G1B1) for X11SAT-F but cant find it on crucial.com