Do I need a Synology expansion unit to expand a Synology via eSata?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
I've purchased a second-hand RS3617RPxs on Prime Day and I'm quiet happy with it and I'd like to expand it.

I'm out of slots and I'd like to add a 6 disk raid-6 array.

Synology is selling an expansion unit at https://www.amazon.com/Synology-RX1217RP-Redundant-Expansion-RackStation/dp/B01K1JTJ2O at $2000, which is around $1500 above my budget and even a little more than I originally paid for the RS3617RPxs.

Since the expansion port is eSata. Can I just add a normal eSata enclosure to expand my Synology or not?

raylangivens

Nov 22, 2016
Since the expansion port is eSata. Can I just add a normal eSata enclosure to expand my Synology or not?
It's not eSata, but Infiniband. So, no a normal eSata enclosure is not an option.
SAS JBOD enclosures could work, unless DSM refuses to uses anything not-Synology. Would be good to know, so if you go that route, please share your experience.

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
Well, I already bought a cheap Synology expansion unit.

I don't have any other enclosure, I do have a cheap LSI 9300-8e controller and a computer, but I have no idea if that's enough to test.

raylangivens

Nov 22, 2016
It may very well be of interest for some people if it's possible to use a Synology expansion unit as JBOD attached to a standard controller.

But I imagine that the other way around would be even more interesting for most people, since there's an abundance of cheap SAS enclosures.

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
Just buy this 12-bay Synology expander* for $1699 at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Plug-n-Use-Rackmount-Expansion-RX1214/dp/B00FY7DEHU
Synology RX1214RP uitbereidingsunit - RX1214RP - Yorcom
Synology RX1214RP - Opslagbehuizing - 12 bays ( SATA-600 ) HDD - rack-uitvoering - Azerty

*Joke: This is an old version and Synology disk expanders are horribly expensive.

I ended up making to bids on eBay on a RX1217RP with 4x6TB Red's for €1300 and a bid of €500 on a RX1214. I am new to eBay and wasn't expecting both offers to be accepted, as they were 35% lower than the asking price. I should really read a guide on how to negotiate on homelab hardware on eBay. But I wanted to take responsibility for my offers and so now I'm trying to sell the RX1214 here in Europe.

Now that I see
even did itXpenology, it should be possible.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I have used a Sans Digital 4 drive esata expansion unit to create a 4 drive raid 5 expansion to my old DS 411 +II. Synology 4,5 and 6 detected and worked well with it. Much cheaper than synology expansion units

Reactions: raylangivens

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
So one of these could work?
Please check yourself first as some already say they support raid, which isn't a good thing, as the Synology should do the raid.

I personally don't want to to through the pain anymore of spending so much time on something that I already replaced, but it'd be great to know. And also I thought my Synology had eSata, but apparently it has infiniband, because it's a more expensive unit.

Synology charges outrageous amounts for their hardware.