Quanta LB8

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

[Karl]Aschnikof

Jun 9, 2017
hiho!

i have an broken LB8, the status led did nothing and over console the same, nothing.
when i put a cable into the management port, link comes up, but dhcp give no ip address.
i dont know the hardware are i.O. but when the hardware are ok, i think the u-boot is broken.
there is no CF Card in the switch.
first - did the switch need an cf card?
secound - can i flash the boot file over flash card or did it only go over JTAG?
third - where is the JTAG interface?
and is there a docu about the jumpers on the switch?

sorry for my bad english, and thanks for answers

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
hiho!

i have an broken LB8, the status led did nothing and over console the same, nothing.
when i put a cable into the management port, link comes up, but dhcp give no ip address.
i dont know the hardware are i.O. but when the hardware are ok, i think the u-boot is broken.
there is no CF Card in the switch.
first - did the switch need an cf card?
secound - can i flash the boot file over flash card or did it only go over JTAG?
third - where is the JTAG interface?
and is there a docu about the jumpers on the switch?

sorry for my bad english, and thanks for answers
I have nothing to add regarding the switch, but if you are going to load the bootloader through JTAG please let me know how and what you do. I have a dead switch sitting here also with a dead bootloader and the only way I can fix it is through JTAG but I feel like im in over my head and have no idea where to look or what to get.

tvgdb

Jul 9, 2017
I have nothing to add regarding the switch, but if you are going to load the bootloader through JTAG please let me know how and what you do. I have a dead switch sitting here also with a dead bootloader and the only way I can fix it is through JTAG but I feel like im in over my head and have no idea where to look or what to get.
Ditto.

Reactions: legopc

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
The JTAG header is on the board, but the problem I had in screwing with these was that they are PowerPC and the JTAG equipment wasn't easy to find.

Chankster

Mar 9, 2015
Copy/paste of what I told @tvgdb in PM:

I doubt you're going to have much luck. As far as I could tell, barring any kind of hardware failure, my device was simply missing a working u-boot. To resolve you'd first need a BDI2000/3000 with the MPC85XX feature set.

You'll need to either find a working u-boot for the LB8, download one from a working switch, or try to compile one from either the IODS or denx sources.

After that you'll need to setup a working programmer config for the specific CPU and memory chips. From there you'll have to figure out where the flash memory bank gets addressed, erase/download the uboot, start it, and then properly install it.

Once you have a working u-boot its then pretty trivial to install the OS of your choice (Openflow/Indigo/Pica8/Cumulus/etc)

Foray

May 22, 2016
So, I've been tinkering with my quanta switches.

POWERQUICC III e500 core processors have a fixed entry point of 0xFFFFFFFC, which is within the last 32 bits of its address bus, which on the LB4M, LB6M, and LB8 is configured to reside on the on-board flash. The CF card is not used in initialization, it can hold a larger firmware if the on-board 32 Megabyte flash is insufficient. If the on-board flash was improperly cleared then the bootloader is gone and will require a JTAG device to fix.

DrEVILish

Oct 3, 2018
My Quanta LB8 came with
Version 1.2.0.18

System Description............................. Quanta LB8, 1.2.0.18, Linux 2.6.21.7
Machine Type................................... Quanta LB8
Machine Model.................................. LB8
Serial Number.................................. QTFCWJ3010126
FRU Number..................................... 1LB8BZZ0001
Part Number.................................... BCM56843
Maintenance Level.............................. A
Manufacturer................................... 0xbc00
Burned In MAC Address.......................... 08:9E:01:7A:xx:xx
Software Version............................... 1.2.0.18
Operating System............................... Linux 2.6.21.7
Network Processing Device...................... BCM56843_A3

If anyone knows how to pull the firmware down I'll upload it if anyone wants it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
unit active backup current-active next-active
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1 1.2.0.18 1.2.0.14 1.2.0.18 1.2.0.18