SOLVED Can't get Mellanox ConnectX-2 to work on Win 7

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rkd29980

Mar 22, 2016
I just got a Mellanox ConnectX-2 MNPA19-XTR card and I can't get it to work. When I open the WinOF driver "MLNX_VPI_WinOF-5_35_All_Win7_x64.exe" it extracts several files somewhere but doesn't seem to do anything else and my card still shows in the device manager with a yellow exclamation mark.

dev.png

--------------------UPDATE--------------------

I managed to get the driver installed by going to "C:\ProgramData\Downloaded Installations\{9C8A5166-8250-44EB-9ADF-F76B715CD9F2}" and unpacking "MLNX_VPI.msi" and then unpacking "Data1.cab". I then pointed the driver install utility to that folder and it installed the driver.

BUT...

Although the driver is installed. It is giving me a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error in the device manager. Any idea how to solve this?

--------------------UPDATE 2--------------------

I was able to properly install this card and everything is working perfectly. There were other issues I was having with this process that I did not detail here but long story short, my System32 folder was missing "msiexec.exe" so once I copied it back over from another Win7 computer and installed the 64bit version of the KB2999226 update, I was successfully able to install the Mellanox drivers.

Yes, I know I am a dumbass.

Last edited:

RADCOM

Aug 27, 2012
If you click on the device in device manager and click update driver and point it towards where you have extracted the driver files that should work.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T_Minus

rkd29980

Mar 22, 2016
You will need to look at the compatibility matrix at the mellanox page which is the latest firmware/driver combination that is supported for your card. Just upgraded another CX2 last week and the latest driver for it was 4.8.0 iirc.
So do I need to upgrade the firmware on these cards to get them to work? I got them off of ebay and I don't know what firmware version they have.

@rkd29980
Is this a "normal" mellanox card or is it some rebranded card?
I think it might be HP branded. I got them off of ebay and the listing says Mellanox but that same seller has another listing for a lot of 10 of the same card and it says they are HP so IDK.

@Rand__
5.35 works fine with connect-x 2 and windows 7/10:
View attachment 6323
That is what I am trying to install and it is not working for me.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Firmware upgrade would be a good idea - try to find the version @i386 referred since he says that one works with the driver you want:)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Can you run snappy driver installer or a similar tool and see what driver it finds?