3 x 5.25 to 5 x 3.5 inch SAS 3 cage.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Hi Everyone I am looking for the above at the moment I am running SATA 3 drives but have some SAS 3 drives on the way and am looking for the equivalent to this but for SAS 3 does anyone know where I can get them at a reasonable price?

MB975SP-B R1_3.5" Tray-Less Cages_3.5" HDD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure

I had a look at the headers inside the drive cage itself and there is no way it will handle SAS.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Have you looked at the supermicro drive cages? Not sure if they are "reasonable priced", but they have a passive backplane and support sas.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Have you looked at the supermicro drive cages? Not sure if they are "reasonable priced", but they have a passive backplane and support sas.
I've yet to see one there that supports SAS 3 and is a 5x3.5 to 3x5.25, I am not much up on SAS connectors other than knowing that they are physically different due to a little plastic piece that bridges the power and data connectors to act as a "lockout" I have no idea if SAS 3 drives will run in SAS 2 enclosures and if there is any physical difference between the two I was looking at a Supermicro CSE-M35TQB but upon checking someone had asked if it supported SAS3 and was simply answered NO. nothing more than that NO, no suggestion of a product that does or if a SAS 3 drive would run in this cage as a SAS2 drive just NO.

That answer is about as useful as tits on a bull.

If you can enlighten me at all I would appreciate it, presently running an Avago 9361-8i with Supercap and Cachevault using fan out cables from the on board connectors to Sata connectors via icy dock cages and it works well but I have been offered some large SAS3 drives on the cheap.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
If you can enlighten me at all I would appreciate it, presently running an Avago 9361-8i with Supercap and Cachevault using fan out cables from the on board connectors to Sata connectors via icy dock cages and it works well but I have been offered some large SAS3 drives on the cheap.
That should work with the proper fan out cables (sff-8643 aka sas3 multilane connector to 4 sata).

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
That should work with the proper fan out cables (sff-8643 aka sas3 multilane connector to 4 sata).
I have these which are made for the 9361-8i to SATA 3.

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

But I always thought that SAS3 and SATA 3 cables differed in the respect of the L shaped piece on the Sata cables and the lockout TAB that runs between the power and data connectors on the SAS3 drives other wise theory would dictate that I could plug a SAS3 drive into my existing IcyDock 3 to 5 bay converters and I don't think thats possible or are you referring only to the Super micro ones which according to super micro wont do SAS3 data rates?

I should have mentioned too here is the supermicro faq link re SAS3

FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I was refering to the supermicro cse-m35tqb.

Yes the connectors are different on the drives (sata has a tab between power and data pins). You could use the icy dock if it has a sas connector on the drive facing side of the backplane (see picture 1). If it has sata connectors it won't work (picture 2, top).

SAS:
backplane-sas-connector.JPG

Sata:
SATA_Board.jpg

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I was refering to the supermicro cse-m35tqb.

Yes the connectors are different on the drives (sata has a tab between power and data pins). You could use the icy dock if it has a sas connector on the drive facing side of the backplane (see picture 1). If it has sata connectors it won't work (picture 2, top).

SAS:
View attachment 6285

Sata:
View attachment 6286
The ICY dock is definitely SATA as it has a little tab between the connectors so there is no way a SAS drive will plug into it, I have also just been reading that some SAS3 drives will have trouble in SAS2 enclosures as they use pin3 of the power connector to indicate if the drive should be powered down if that pin is held high.
With some SAS cages using SATA power cables to power them that pin would be held high and the drives simply don't power up, replace the power connection with a molex to sata power adapter and the drives spin up fine

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I think it's about sata vs sas drives and not power. (At least that's my interpretation of a hgst faq regarding that power feature):
View attachment 6287
Source: https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/HGST-Power-Disable-Pin-TB.pdf
Thats good info to have - I now know I can use any SAS chassis support the new feature or not and the SAS3 drives should work, I noted too that the SATA 3 spec includes it as well as per the HGST doc above in this line
"The “Power Disable” feature is a new industry standard feature defined for both SATA and SAS"

It sounds like from what I am reading here though is more a pain in the but for SATA3 as opposed to SAS3 which will still work in SAS2 chassis, I am presuming being in SAS2 chassis though SAS3 speed/capabilities wont be enabled.