Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
I don't believe you made a bad purchase at all. At under $400 is still a great switch. The $250 price before on amazon was insane and I think its skewing peoples perception of value.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I don't believe you made a bad purchase at all. At under $400 is still a great switch. The $250 price before on amazon was insane and I think its skewing peoples perception of value.

I think you are right. Before the $250 price I would have been thrilled with a FANLESS 28 port smart switch with 4 sfp+ ports at less than $400. I'm anxious now for it to show up so I can start the "transformation"! :)

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Use third part SFP+ module help you save much money, you should ensure the module is 100% compatible with your switches/routers.
Recommend SFP+ Transceiver | Optcore.net
I have my 4 DAC's already. 3 of the 4 items I'll attach are under 1 meter in my equipment rack and the 4th is less than 3 meters. From what I've researched, it's not picky at all and although it may log a warning that's the extent of what it does. We'll see.

I'm STILL waiting on the unit. It say May 10-18 when I ordered it, and man, they are taking every bit of that time!

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
@Craash I am in same boat as you were. I keep eyeballing the T1700G-28TQ and am waiting for the price to drop to around $300. I'm wanting to replace a power hungry quanta LB4M switch that is at like 90 watts idle and add a few more SFP+ ports. What is your power consumption looking like on the T1700G?

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
@Gene,

I haven't checked it awhile, but if memory serves it came in at about 18.5w. That's fully populated.

Noise reduction IS a slippery slope, though. I replaced a 48 port rack model with this, I replaced a twin Xeon 128 GB workstation with a new x299, and I have a 120MM fan wall waiting to be installed in my norco.

If I can get the 20 2TB drives in the norco replaced with a smaller number of larger drives I'll be happy with what I've accomplished. The reduction in noise is wonderful. I was working in the office yesterday and I heard a weird noise. It took me a minute to figure out it was my wiener dog snoring under my desk. It's not that she doesn't normally snore, I just haven't heard it in my office in the past. :)

I'm holding out hope that maybe Amazon will drop the price on Prime Day. Ha. If they do, I'm in for another one. That would gain me two more 10Gb sfp+ ports and I have the devices for them just sitting on standby now. :)

spazoid

Apr 26, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just checked the local market (Denmark) for the T1700G-28TQ and I almost dropped my jaw when I saw it listed at DKK 1200 (USD 185). I immediately ordered 4 twinax cables from fs.com and in those 15 minutes the store had changed from "available within 10 days" to "no longer available".... found another site with almost the same price and quickly placed an order that went through!

And now the wait for one of two emails begin, either "your order has been shipped" or "the item you've ordered is no longer available". :'(

Reactions: Craash

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I just checked the local market (Denmark) . . . ". :'(
With the understanding that you may not be a economics professor (or are you??) do you typically see any relation between tech pricing in the big D and in the US? Yes, I am grasping at straws.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Just to give you another data point ~ €250 in Germany, been around that since April.

Reactions: Craash

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Must be the Trump effect here in the USA.

Disclaimer: This should be read as positive or negative depending upon your own personal views. I'm simply providing the verbiage, please feel free to substitute your own meaning.

:D;)

spazoid

Apr 26, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
With the understanding that you may not be a economics professor (or are you??) do you typically see any relation between tech pricing in the big D and in the US? Yes, I am grasping at straws.
For NIB we usually pay the price in USD + 25% VAT + 10-20%, so seeing something in Denmark at LESS than the price in the US is quite unusual, even seeing stuff like this (electronics in general) at less than the US price + 25% is rare.

When you guys see stuff go crazy on ebay (like the 2670's or LB6M's or whatever, really) we either have to import it from the US ebay market and pay import taxes or see if we can find it somewhere on the EU market where the price is already the US ebay price + import taxes.
The used enterprise class hardware market is more or less non-existent. The large service providers in Europe let used hardware rot in basements "in case we need it for parts" because they don't know how to lifecycle stuff or sell it wholesale to companies that specialize in providing maintenance contracts when companies like Lenovo, HPE, HDS and so on starts charging insane amount (usually around the 6-7 year mark). In the latter case, the hardware never ends up on the market, because that 2 Gbit HBA becomes worth its weight in gold if you wait long enough some customer will find itself with a business critical application running on a Compaq server running NT4 and a broken HBA.

/rant :p

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Truth to be told I'm sure the market for that second hand stuff is a lot smaller in Europe than in the US too. From reading forums it sure looks like the amount of home labbers pale compared to the US. And few other businesses would buy second hand because you don't get any support.
I live in Norway and most people here either just pay the full price (filthy rich anyways) or buy consumer grade stuff and don't care about having enterprise class networking at all.
So spending time trying to off load used components is often times not worth it. Businesses have a lot of better things to do.

There was a news report on TV the other day where they talked about how many electric appliances that people just throw away fully working. Like vacuum cleaners, old radios, etc. People just don't give a crap.

The place I work didn't clean out the basement until a couple of years ago and I spotted a bunch of Ultra320 SCSI drives and systems using it there. It was *that* old.

Last edited:

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Ouch. I felt my age when Ultra320 was called *that* old. Sigh.

I sure do miss those 68-pin 15 device ribbon cables. Or not.

My new x299 with onboard EVO960's in a stripe looks down right naked without cables snaking everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: dswartz

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
In the US a lot of the 'near new recycling' of IT gear is driven by tax issues and the financial drive for 'capital efficiency', which together lead to a lot of equipment on lease rather than being purchased. It is the leasing companies that tend to get stuff quickly into the resale markets.

Companies here that tend to be 'owner's also have basements full of really old stuff...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Patrick

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I import a lot of stuff from US to Norway. The shipping isn't bad at all, it cost the same to ship something from the west coast to the east cost as it cost to ship from the east coast to Norway.

As for taxes/VAT, I run my own consultancy company so I don't actually have to pay for that. Everything I buy is for my business, product trial, research, test systems, dev systems, production systems or resale. But resale is of course with VAT.