Monero CPU Mining in Docker

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
The issue for konflikt is expire shares , if you let the mining pool auto-adjust difficulty , then one will always experience slightly more expired shares.

Konflikt

Jul 5, 2017
in the last half day since i modified the diff to fixed 15000, the old CPUs hadn't any expired shares so far. looks good.

another question: I reached the first 0,5 XMR at minexmr.com, so they send it to my mymonero wallet.
at the minexmr site: a new payment is displayed - OK
I have checked my mymonero wallet, and I have seen an "unconfirmed" transaction. later I checked again (after 10mins) but the transaction disappeared - still 0 XMR on my wallet. So is everything alright? how much time is needed for a successful transaction, when will I see the new balance? thanks

edit:
there are a note in the mymonero site:

"Your account is catching up, your details may be out-of-date until it is finished (14 blocks behind)
This is not an error, and you do not have to do anything except wait until it is complete."

I hope that is the reason

edit2:
it is just arrived - so OK

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Yes, it takes time to have your wallet to show the recv balance.
One time, I had to wait overnight.
Lately, I just go do something else then check it few hours later.

Konflikt

Jul 5, 2017
Yes, it takes time to have your wallet to show the recv balance.
One time, I had to wait overnight.
Lately, I just go do something else then check it few hours later.
thanks. how can I send the XMR to an IBAN account (bank account)? Assumed I need to use an exchange site to convert the XMR to USD, I think. and then?

mattvirus

Aug 15, 2017
@iris the following are uploaded now:

servethehome/monero_nanopool:latest
servethehome/monero_nanopool:nproc
servethehome/monero_nanopool:zen
sorry for bumping old post --- having trouble pulling :latest down tonight...

Code:
Unable to find image 'servethehome/monero_nanopool:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: manifest for servethehome/monero_nanopool:latest not found.
:zen and :nproc pull down fine though.

RedCatBlueCat

Sep 8, 2017
Patrick, thank you for giving me a reason to explore Docker AND Ubuntu :) This is going to be fun!

I would like to humbly request you also support pool.supportxmr.com if you wouldn't mind? it requires a pool address, wallet address and pool password with the syntax of nameofmachine:emailaddress I'm sure it is one you are familiar with. I started CPU mining here and would like to finish here to get my .3 monero out before trying other pools.

I installed Ubuntu onto bare metal HP DL380 Gen9 with dual 12 core E5-2960v3's and got Docker installed tonight as per your instructions so thank you!

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Thank you for that great solution, Patrick! Great practice to get familiar with docker!
Fired all up on a Supermicro 2027TR HTRF+ Quad Node Server 8x Intel E5 CPU
Bare Ubuntu's with a few lines of configuration and I'm ready to go!
Tried wolf's+minergate and timonmat's xmr-stak - first appears to be about 5-10% faster.
Here's some stats:
2 x E5-2690v1 950H/s @ 260W
2 x E5-2680v1 880H/s @ 220W
2 x E5-2650v1 620H/s @ 160W
2 x E5-2620v1 470H/s @130W
Two last just for test, waiting for a few more pairs of 2680)
Seems like pushing around 3600-3800H/s from 2U server is not that bad!

Can you please recommend if there's any software I can use for (web) monitoring all average nodes stats together, like:
node1 206/206 (100.00%), 478.29 H/s at diff 4252 (yay!!!)
node2 187/187 (100.00%), 660.65 H/s at diff 6873 (yay!!!)
node3 187/188 (99.47%), 946.69 H/s at diff 8034.01 (yay!!!)
Thank you!

PS: I hope not to burn out the hardware at least before mining will compensate that few thousands bucks it's worth)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@larslav - interesting that you are getting better numbers with Wolf's on that configuration. Some of the newer configs are doing better on Wolf's even versus stak with hundreds of lines worth of affinity configuration. Still using Wolf's just to keep the data set consistent.

On monitoring, I usually measure at the pool. Dwarfpool, for example, can show each miner H/s.

Also, you can always use docker log <container ID>. What would be slick is a grafana portal but no time to make it.

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
@larslav - interesting that you are getting better numbers with Wolf's on that configuration. Some of the newer configs are doing better on Wolf's even versus stak with hundreds of lines worth of affinity configuration. Still using Wolf's just to keep the data set consistent.

On monitoring, I usually measure at the pool. Dwarfpool, for example, can show each miner H/s.

Also, you can always use docker log <container ID>. What would be slick is a grafana portal but no time to make it.
Ah, yep, my fault - I'd better read first about minergate here in other topics. Result was actually poor, nothing compared to rates, shown by miner. Now moved to minexmr and tuned xmr-stak shows nice output.

Reactions: Klee and Patrick

dcb99

Oct 22, 2017
@Jon Massey - yes!

Now do:
Code:
docker ps
And you will see the image running. If you want to see what the image is doing real-time (using that container ID string):
Code:
docker attach cbbdfc
You can then hit ctrl + p q to return. If you hit ctrl + c you will stop mining.

docker ps should also give you a name (last entry) that you can use instead of cbbdfc....

I actually think monero mining is a great way to learn Docker.
I am running into the same problem, but when I try and see what containers are running, there are always zero containers.

ionut

Dec 6, 2017
hi guys,

I have 4 spare ProLiant DL360 gen9 dual e5-2620 cpu. how can I make them start mining.? what os + miner is the best for this setup?
how can it be monitored remotely?

thank you for your time.

regards.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
hi guys,

I have 4 spare ProLiant DL360 gen9 dual e5-2620 cpu. how can I make them start mining.? what os + miner is the best for this setup?
how can it be monitored remotely?

thank you for your time.

regards.
Make an Aeon wallet so you have an address to mine to.

Install ubuntu server.

Code:
wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh
after it is done there will be a line like this:

Code:
sudo usermod -aG docker ubuntu
Do that, then logout and back in.

Then
Code:
#!/bin/bash

wally=<your wallet address here>
thrperinst=6

docker run -itd -e username=$wally -e email=x -e numthreads=$thrperinst --cpuset-cpus="0-5" servethehome/aeon_xmrig:priv
docker run -itd -e username=$wally -e email=x -e numthreads=$thrperinst --cpuset-cpus="6-11" servethehome/aeon_xmrig:priv
That will get you started. You may need to tweak a bit. After you run that script (save it BTW), you will see two long alpha-numeric IDs come up. You can user docker attach <ID> to attach to the container and see what is going on. Use control a and then control d to detach from the container so you do not exit the miner.

That is it.

Greg DePasse

Dec 19, 2017
As a quick note, I recently changed the password for this image to hostname. If you are running this in a swarm, this makes it extremely easy to determine the hashrate of a worker (and if a worker is down). xmrpool.net supports this feature:

It displays container ID. That allows you to tie back easily to a GUI such as Rancher or Portainer:
Dumb question, but what password do I use to log in to the xmrpool.net portal? Is there a way to pass my email address in addition to the identifier like described in their "Getting Started" page:
upload_2017-12-19_22-56-26.png

boerk

Jan 16, 2018
I am already mining on minexmr.com:443
Is there a pool available for this one? I don't like to switch at this time.