Insane deal? $299.99 or lower NEW 10TB HGST Hitachi Ultrastar He10 SATA III 7200RPM 256MB Hard Drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gotchu

Apr 25, 2016
Bought one from here for $299.99: NEW 10TB HGST Hitachi Ultrastar He10 SATA III 6Gbps/600 7200RPM 256MB Hard Drive

This item is new as the seller says. The last deal posted was a refurb one with 90 days warranty with a slightly lower price. But I couldn't find warranty info for this list tho. Assume it has full factory warranty?

If you have 8% ebucks promotion, it's even sweeter. Correct me if I miss anything. So far, I think it's a good deal.

gotchu

Apr 25, 2016
Only a good deal if you have a verifiable warranty. Is there a serial number you can check with hitachi for one?
Checked the S/N shown in the picture. Got the following info:

Serial number Expiration date(YYYY-MM-DD)
7PJ20SSCPlease return drive to the point of purchase or system manufacturer.

gotchu

Apr 25, 2016
Only a good deal if you have a verifiable warranty. Is there a serial number you can check with hitachi for one?
I guess he is not an authorized dealer anyway. From another list of the same seller, which is for 8tb version, he mentioned a 45-day warranty. Totally have no idea what's going on now.

keybored

May 28, 2016

This item is new as the seller says. The last deal posted was a refurb one with 90 days warranty with a slightly lower price. But I couldn't find warranty info for this list tho. Assume it has full factory warranty?
The last one for $275 wasn't a refurb. The drives were new but they were warrantied for 90 days by the seller because they were OEM. These drives look to be from the same batch except this seller will only warranty them for 30 days according to the listing.

Returns:
30 days money back or replacement, buyer pays return shipping, 20% restocking fee may apply

gotchu

Apr 25, 2016
I messaged the seller, and got this reply:
upload_2017-6-30_9-55-43.png

Either he is lying, or I got a good deal. I'll wait till I receive the drive, and verify warranty using actual S/N. Will update later on.

Reactions: gigatexal

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Looking at his feedback I would say something is wrong.

eBay Feedback Profile for dglet
Doesn't look out of the ordinary for me. Any high volume seller is going to get some negatives. 98% positive feedback ranks you as a top rated seller on eBay and they pretty much have that.

With all that said however, doesn't look like you're going to be getting any warranty outside of the eBay return period.

gotchu

Apr 25, 2016
drive was removed,fale add,ripoff, $30.00 for card board box BEWARE Not Honest!!
Not working Seagate Backup Plus Portable External Hard Drive STDR2000101 (#201781038396)​

I guess I don't buy eBay hard drives enough but that might be the first time I've seen someone sell the husk of an external drive and call it a not working external hard drive. I mean, you're not wrong in that situation, just an asshole.

O&M item. No warranty from the manufacturer.
8TB Seagate ST8000AS0002 SATA Archive 3.5" SATA III Internal Hard Drive 128mb (#371800035320)​

And that doesn't particularly bode well for him having any idea what the warranties are.

Also if you dig further into it, you'll see complaints that seem to point that at this guy shucking his own drives and then selling the drives and enclosures back to you, or occasionally closing the enclosure back up again with the wrong drive in it and asking you to RMA it to the manufacturer.

Lots of indications that you'll have to get eBay to intervene if you want a refund as well.

But hey, I'm staying away from this one more because I'm broke than anything. Remember: Caveat Emptor.
Just received my HDD yesterday. And unfortunately, using the S/N to check warranty, it still shown the same thing: return to the place of purchase...

So this seller did lie to me. It's not that surprising now since some of you already found that this seller has a bad rating/feedback. Now I can only pray that my HDD lasts me long. Sucks.

abq

May 23, 2015
@gotchu, very sorry you were mislead/ripped off. Gut very glad I passed on this deal. ...I was worried if forum member might be involved, since looks like dealers and shills seem to be aware of this site. I regrettably have impression more than a few 'for profits' lurking and using this site now :(

Reactions: gotchu

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Stress the drives for a few days, as you know they usually fail early or live a long life. They are reliable drives so likley when any do fail 14/16tb or bigger will be standard.

Reactions: gotchu

gotchu

Apr 25, 2016
Stress the drives for a few days, as you know they usually fail early or live a long life. They are reliable drives so likley when any do fail 14/16tb or bigger will be standard.
Thanks for the advice. Will do it once I get all components for my workstation build. Was planning to build a 2x1080ti workstation for deep learning work as well as altcoin mining during idle time. Hope it can survive thru the stress test. Let's see.

rune-san

Feb 7, 2014
I'd ask for a refund myself. Especially if you have a message from the seller saying there's a Manufacturer Direct Warranty. Should be a slam dunk.