Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-16-XG SFP+ Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

trippehh

Oct 29, 2015
There is now a "public" 1.7.1beta1 firmware out for this switch that massively improves SFP+ compatibility and fixes all the 10Gbase-T problems I've seen on it as well. I am now running mine with various old 0.5-3m Cisco, Supermicro and newer generic FS.com DAC cables, as well as some various 1 and 10G optics (mostly generic FS.com but some others) - all working.

All you have to do is enable beta access on your account (by accepting a ToS) and then it is available to download.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
perfect, i have some Cisco 3m DACs , wich never workt with the switch.

will try them and report .

<Update>
Oh its for the ES version :) not for the Unifi XGs

Last edited:

TheDrew

Jul 10, 2013
Is there somewhere we can get a consolidated list of 3rd party SFP+ modules this thing supports at various firmware levels? Just bought one and while I'm pleasantly surprised at the cost of UBNT's own fiber modules, I'd really like to get some 3rd party 10g copper for this thing, something UBNT lacks. And yes, the four copper ports on the switch will be filled right away.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The latest alpha firmware has fixed a lot of the SFP+ compatibility issues. There are still problems with the 4 copper ports. Mine frequently drops to 1g. Have to reset the switch to get back 10g speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trippehh

Oct 29, 2015
The latest alpha firmware has fixed a lot of the SFP+ compatibility issues. There are still problems with the 4 copper ports. Mine frequently drops to 1g. Have to reset the switch to get back 10g speeds.
Since the alpha there have been a beta relase and a rc1. Tried the rc1 with regards to the copper port issues yet?

FWIW on my two units the copper ports seems to work fine with my particular 10GBase-T link partners. All my Xeon-D related 10Gbase-T issues were fixed in the first alpha.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I haven't tried the beta or RC1. I will do the upgrade and check it out. I am using it with 2 xeon d boards as well and have issues with port 13 and 14 in the alpha.

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
Since the alpha there have been a beta relase and a rc1. Tried the rc1 with regards to the copper port issues yet?

FWIW on my two units the copper ports seems to work fine with my particular 10GBase-T link partners. All my Xeon-D related 10Gbase-T issues were fixed in the first alpha.
I've not seen any posts on their forums wrt a beta or rc1. Do you have those links? Would love to check that out.

K D

Dec 24, 2016

I checked last night and could find only the beta ans rc1 for the es version. The unifi version is still in alpha 4711.6326

SKiT

Jul 5, 2020
Hi all,

So I have this switch, previously all of my PC's ran 10GbE from the RJ45 ports, with dual 10GBase DAC cables to my server, and just using generic Cisco 'compatible' 1GBase RJ45 transceivers for internet/wifi etc. I've just moved house and it will be a while before I can run a cable to one of my PC's so I've purchased a TP-LINK Archer TX3000E nic to go with my AX6000 wifi router.

The router has a 2.5Gb uplink, and I have a strong connection of 2.4Gb between devices. However, after sussing out why I'm only getting about 750Mbps down, I've just realised that the ethernet ports on this switch can only run in 1Gb or 10Gb (not 2.5 or 5 like the SFP+), so this uplink is only running at 1Gbps.

My question is, how can I get this 2.5Gbase uplink to the wifi router? Is something like this 10Gbase transceiver compatible, and then able to be run at 2.5Gb?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Since we lost this in the restore from backup today,

@chris84 said:

Brand: FS
Model: 10G SFP+ DAC Twinax Cable (Customized length, passive, SFP+ to SFP+). FS product #69905
Type (SFP+, DAC): DAC
DAC length if applicable: 2m and 3m tested

When ordering I chose "Dual Compatibility Solutions" and entered the Vendors (Intel / Ubiquiti in my case).

Tag me @ if you re-post and I can remove mine. Just keeping a record from what I saved.