Supermicro EPYC boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Supermicro's just posted their new range of AMD servers and motherboards:

Supermicro AMD EPYC™ Processor-based Solutions | AMD Solution | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Assuming the numbers and prices end up looking good and teething problems remain minimal, there's a crapton of IO available here. The no-details-yet H11SSL range of single socket boards look ideal for workstation and SME servers that don't need a great deal of compute, but come with three 16x and three 8x PCIe 3.0 lanes (for presumably not a huge amount of money) - 72 lanes in total which is a pretty impressive amount of IO. Interesting times.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So that first board doesn't appear to have audio so an audio car would be needed i take it if used for a workstation.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You could use hdmi/displayport from the gpu for that or a usb soundcard/audio interface.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
It looks like SM just seem to be targeting the server market for the time being (ditto for Tyan) - not entirely unexpected given it's a new and hitherto unproven platform from a vendor that's not been competing in the server market for nearly a decade. I'm quite happy to see so many manufacturers bringing out boards for the launch so they obviously think it's got potential so I expect we'll see some proper WS boards appearing soon.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
well really there is not too much in the way of choice for 10gb server grade nic chipsets

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Looking at the H11DSi-NT and it using only ~86 lanes and _only_ 1 DIMM per channel, it seems like EATX is limiting dual SP3. That Gigabyte board looks promising, but ram is going to run into any long cards for all but 3 slots. It is really amazing how big that socket is. Maybe it is time to bring back HPTX!

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
The irony is that a single Epyc can feed 7 * 16x = 112 lanes and still have 16 for leftovers (Chipset and other integrated devices), however, for standard Video Cards with double slot cooling, half of the slots are unusable. Are we going to see single slot Video Cards with low power consumption to compensate the lower cooling, or cases with a design intended to be easy to use with PCIe Risers? It looks like the current arrangement may at be useful for NVMe Drives, but Video Cards are still painful to deal with and need a whole infrastructure built around them.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The irony is that a single Epyc can feed 7 * 16x = 112 lanes and still have 16 for leftovers (Chipset and other integrated devices), however, for standard Video Cards with double slot cooling, half of the slots are unusable. Are we going to see single slot Video Cards with low power consumption to compensate the lower cooling, or cases with a design intended to be easy to use with PCIe Risers? It looks like the current arrangement may at be useful for NVMe Drives, but Video Cards are still painful to deal with and need a whole infrastructure built around them.
IMNSHO, I don't think all those PCIe lanes are targeted to GPU application (the current mining craze notwithstanding). While I expect there will be niche design GPU platforms forthcoming for Deep Learning activity, EPYC is really all about massive scale NVMe storage and high-performance network IO.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Storage is the #1 application for sure. GPU is being pushed because AMD also sells GPUs.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Don't forget the 100+ gbit/s network cards and sas4 hbas/raid controllers that will be released next year.

Reactions: ( )

Rain

May 13, 2013
Here is a direct-link to the .com site (instead of .nl): Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | EPYC™ 7000-series

What is going to be really interesting with this release is board prices... I can't wait to see what these end up shipping for!

So that first board doesn't appear to have audio so an audio car would be needed i take it if used for a workstation.
Don't waist precious PCIe space with a sound card, just go USB. Unless you need some fancy 5.1 setup at your workstation, a simple USB DAC (coupled with a nice headphone amp) will be better than nearly any sound card you can find.

Last edited:

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I am hoping we can one of these for work. We suppose to buy new xeon based servers. But my issue is that they hate AMD here. Hopefully will see some results soon. So I can provide concrete reasoning to going EPYC

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

( )

Jul 8, 2017
Supermicro's just posted their new range of AMD Servers and Motherboards ...
The 4U Tower AS-4023S-TR, with a H11SSL Motherboard instead of 2 sockets, looks good. It's based on a modified 745 Case (white instead of green Fans too).

The H11DSi Motherboard's page says that the Chassis is a CSE-745BAC-R1K28B2 modified for the new board.

Unfortunately they haven't put up working Links for some of the newest stuff, just an overview; and different Photos/Info depending upon where you look. Hard to say if the Brochure or the Webpage is the most recent.

The Image for the H11SSL is just a blurry blob but I found another Motherboard, the H8SGL-F, that looks the same as what is depicted and pasted an Epyc Chip in place of the Opteron that was there.

H11SSL_spec__Guess2.jpg