FT: The great rail exchange thread!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
It seems that many of us who have more than a couple of systems somehow end up with mismatched rails and other mounting hardware.

This thread is an experiment to see how many of us there actually are with excess rail parts, and in search of other rail parts.

Terms:
  • Rails are left and right as you look at the front of the chassis as it slides into the rack.
  • Inner rails attach to the chassis
  • Outer rails attach to the rack, inner rails slide into them
  • Round hole means for round hole racks
  • Square hole means for square hole racks
  • Quickrails employ some sort of spring loaded attachment system so you don't need to use bolts

Here's my inventory as an example:

I have these rail kit parts available for trade:
  • 70+ Supermicro 1U round hole mini end pieces w/ holes
  • 40+ Supermicro 1U round hole mini end pieces w/ threads
  • 4x Supermicro *right* inner rails for Rev B quickrails
  • 5x Supermicro *left* outer quickrail, *not* Rev B - yes seven of them! (I gave 2 away already)
  • 3x-ish Supermicro 2U brass roller inner rail pairs, some long, some short
  • 1 pair IBM 1U outer round hole quickrails 32P9108, one of them is missing one blue plastic tab, I should be able to find it
  • 2 sets Supermicro square hole quickrail adapter mounting kit for round hole racks - maybe more
  • 1 still sealed Chenbro rail kit marked "84-32510-022" and "3A68-584APZZ 2CE"
I need these rail kit parts:
  • 4x Supermicro *left* inner rails for Rev B quickrails - I will trade mine right for left, so 2 for 2 is fine
  • 5x Supermicro *right* outer quickrail, *not* Rev B - I will trade mine left for right, uneven trade is fine
  • 5x sets of Supermicro inner rails for pre-rev B quickrails. - to match the above outer rails if I can get those matched
  • Dynaslide outer rail kit for 1U IBM rack console to go with inner rails marked Dynaslide SLI5035 and IBM style PN 39Y8977.
Happy trading!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aestr

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Great idea. I'm all matched up for now, but there have been a lot of times in the past I would have been all over this.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think I have two left 2U rev B SM inner/ outer combos and would trade a left set for a right set :)

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I think I have two left 2U rev B SM inner/ outer combos and would trade a left set for a right set :)
I wish I had a right set to trade you Patrick!

What is going on with the left rails? I gave two of them away today, maybe they will establish a new population, and attract some right outer rails :)