File Server and Hyper-V

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
We're talking apples to oranges here :)

I mean: You can't make free Hyper-V Server serve (sic!) as your file server, basic or HA - whatever. Technically you can (Google is your friend here), but in RL you can't because of an EULA violation.

You mean: mixing Hyper-V and SoFS roles. This couldn't be done with WS2012/2012R2, but it's OK-ish with WS2016 (MSFT doesn't recommend this still, but at least they don't ban this usage anymore).
well as it turns out you are right and wrong at the same time here :).

first, you really can not build out a Hyper-V file server host HA or not out of 2012 server. there is no functionality there wo it to work. the basic 2012 server can operate eiather as Hyper-V host or as othe roles not both, EULA and all that restricts it.

mixing Hyper-V and SoFS roles was not possible in version 2012. MS did not have the functionality to do so. that is, you could add the file server role to the host but it could only provide network shares, no possibility of using the space to store VM images. it would also violate the EULA, You needed a third party software like Starwinds vSAN to use DAS in HA cluster setup.

Server 2016 on the other hand, does have all needed parts and technology to
a. operate as a hyper-v host and SoFS but , I had done some additional research over weekend, you get all that only in DataCenter SKU.

so users of free (core or nano server ) and standard editions are out of luck I guess

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
Well... No :) SMB3 client/server connectivity is an essential functionality of Hyper-V Server so any free Hyper-V can become a file server, HA or not :)

well as it turns out you are right and wrong at the same time here :).

first, you really can not build out a Hyper-V file server host HA or not out of 2012 server. there is no functionality there wo it to work. the basic 2012 server can operate eiather as Hyper-V host or as othe roles not both, EULA and all that restricts it.

mixing Hyper-V and SoFS roles was not possible in version 2012. MS did not have the functionality to do so. that is, you could add the file server role to the host but it could only provide network shares, no possibility of using the space to store VM images. it would also violate the EULA, You needed a third party software like Starwinds vSAN to use DAS in HA cluster setup.

Server 2016 on the other hand, does have all needed parts and technology to
a. operate as a hyper-v host and SoFS but , I had done some additional research over weekend, you get all that only in DataCenter SKU.

so users of free (core or nano server ) and standard editions are out of luck I guess

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The features of SoFS and some storage spaces features being limited to datacenter is a bit sad to be honest, would have been nice to be able to use standard server instead. :-/

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
Nano went South :(

Delivering continuous innovation with Windows Server

Based on that feedback, we are making an important change to Nano Server. This next release will focus on making Nano Server the very best container image possible. From these changes, customers will now see the Nano Server images shrink in size by more than 50 percent, further decreasing startup times and improving container density. As part of this effort to focus on containers, we will be removing the functionality for infrastructure-related roles. Instead of using Nano Server for these scenarios, we recommend deploying the Server Core installation option, which includes all the roles and features you would need.

it is in the DataCenter Nano SKU...

Chris

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Well... No :) SMB3 client/server connectivity is an essential functionality of Hyper-V Server so any free Hyper-V can become a file server, HA or not :)
theoretically yes, you can build it.
practically with server 2012 and earlier you will be breaking the licence agreement.
as per MS EULA , Hyper-V setup can only have single role if it is used as Hyper-V host.
it is either a Hyper-V virtualization server host or any other role you want , but no both.

Server 2016 on the other hand, at least Datacenter SKU, can fulfill 2 roles, a Hyper-V virtualization host and a local DAS FileServer to provide use of local storage to VMs. it is part of EULA provision.

Reactions: NISMO1968

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Nano went South :(

Delivering continuous innovation with Windows Server

Based on that feedback, we are making an important change to Nano Server. This next release will focus on making Nano Server the very best container image possible. From these changes, customers will now see the Nano Server images shrink in size by more than 50 percent, further decreasing startup times and improving container density. As part of this effort to focus on containers, we will be removing the functionality for infrastructure-related roles. Instead of using Nano Server for these scenarios, we recommend deploying the Server Core installation option, which includes all the roles and features you would need.
ugh. Spent soo much time tinkering with it and getting it ready for a hyper-V cluster. Was seriously considering migrating our hypervisor infrastructure to it.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I wonder if the change to nano is being driven by the azure / amazon / cloud providers as a way to get windows to a decent price point as a VPS. Sort of makes sense.

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
I don't want to dive deep into EULA but there's something about "help to manage or run virtual machines". Storage stack can be considered as falling in between at least. Either way you can go buy CALs but... Keeping things easy: don't abuse licensing, MSFT has more money to spend on attorneys either way.

Hyper-V server alone (no Datacenter lic) can't do S2D so I don't see how you can do that.

theoretically yes, you can build it.
practically with server 2012 and earlier you will be breaking the licence agreement.
as per MS EULA , Hyper-V setup can only have single role if it is used as Hyper-V host.
it is either a Hyper-V virtualization server host or any other role you want , but no both.

Server 2016 on the other hand, at least Datacenter SKU, can fulfill 2 roles, a Hyper-V virtualization host and a local DAS FileServer to provide use of local storage to VMs. it is part of EULA provision.

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
I don't think so... Some of the critical API calls are missing so software vendors have explicitly re-write their software to support Nano. + Microsoft own storage & network & virtualization stacks didn't behave well on Nano as well (missing SR-IOV, broken RDMA etc).

I wonder if the change to nano is being driven by the azure / amazon / cloud providers as a way to get windows to a decent price point as a VPS. Sort of makes sense.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Gee, I wonder how many people out there are blissfully unaware that they are violating Microsoft's EULAs.

Reactions: dswartz

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Gee, I wonder how many people out there are blissfully unaware that they are violating Microsoft's EULAs.
Probably heaps, and even Microsoft probably don't care too much.
With how complex they made licensing sometimes it's easy to make errors.