[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
How to shuck step-by-step guide:8TB WD Easystore Shuck Techniques.pdf

Wonderful document for the "newbie" shuckers :D

EDIT: anyone knows if WD offers world wide warranty? Can i claim warranty in Europe?

No, you can only return to the country you purchased it in. People have tried that route with drop shipping to europe. If you buy a US drive, and WD knows due to the serial number, you can only RMA in the US.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
my rewards points are maturing and I have no idea what to do with them? should i put them into getting another 8TB?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Well, theres a QLED from Samsung that seems promising. No price AFAIK.
Samsung is like Sony. Always expensive and overrated...for their TV's.

Look for an Ultra HD Premium tag and you'll be set:

Currently, in order to adhere to the UHD Premium specification a product must have:

• A resolution of at least 3840x2160
  • 10-bit color depth, allowing for 1,024 shades of each of the three primary colors red, green and blue, as opposed to the 256 allowed by the current 8-bit standard.
  • Be capable of displaying pixels at a certain brightness and darkness for HDR purposes (technically this light level is from 0.05 to 1,000 'nits' for LEDs and 0.0005 to 540 'nits' for OLED sets for all you number lovers out there). Adhering to these standards means blacks should look truly dark as opposed to just milky black and whites should really pop.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Geez this is tempting. I could upgrade my 6 drive RAIDZ2 setup and take it from 12TiB net to 32TiB. It would only cost $1080+tax.

But what on earth would I fill it with??

keybored

May 28, 2016
Anyone know if there's any major difference between the model mentioned in the original post and this one? I'm looking to replace a dozen drives in my Synology NAS with 8TB drives. WD 8TB My Book Desktop USB 3.0 External Hard WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN
If I remember correctly, that version uses the WD80EZZX series. The proper reds are either EFZX or EFAX. EZZX does not support TLER and may be gimped in other ways as well; e.g., aggressive head parking, etc., since it's probably tailored towards external enclosures.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I *believe* the MyBooks have a WD Blue (Green?) variant instead of a Red, which is why the BB deal was so popular.

BTW, 8TB easystore drive is back up to $250 now

Edit: beat me to it! EZZX is indeed a Blue/Green variant

Eddie Jones

Feb 11, 2017
I ended up ordering 2 sets of 3 a few weeks apart. The first set was shipped as 2 shipments, the first was a Thai drive, the other pair was China. The second set seemed like a factory box of 4 with one removed, and sadly, all from China.

I hope there isn't a true reliability/whatever else difference between them.

thy.flesh.consumed

Mar 30, 2017
If I remember correctly, that version uses the WD80EZZX series. The proper reds are either EFZX or EFAX. EZZX does not support TLER and may be gimped in other ways as well; e.g., aggressive head parking, etc., since it's probably tailored towards external enclosures.
I have two EZZX drives, they do not park heads.

SirCrest

Sep 5, 2016
Texas
Picked up two in-store. They had like eight on the shelf. Both are EFAX. 256MB cache REDs. I don't plan on shucking. Plan on using them in the shell to take over the roles of my older externals which I will shuck since they're out of warranty.

But damn, these perform pretty good. 200MB on the outside, about 125-130 on the inside.