BC 9400-16i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
I believe I have access to Broadcom 9400-16i's. I'll be purchasing several for testing. Is there anyone else who would like to piggy back off my order?

I know how STH posts work, but let's try to keep this post somewhat under wraps so I don't loose the opportunity to buy them.

Reactions: Antonio

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ohh, what price ? I would be in for 1 to 4 depending on cost, since you seem to have some good contacts I am hopeful on a good Low cost ? I need some SAS3 but having NVMe support would be really nice :)

Are cables for direct connect available for these do you know ?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Might be interested as well depending on price;)

Are cables for direct connect available for these do you know ?
HBA 9400-16i and HBA 9400-8i Tri-Mode Storage Adapters Quick Installation Guide (478 KB)

For SAS/SATA connections, connect standard 12Gb/s SAS cables with an internal Mini SAS HD
connector on one end to connect to the controller and the appropriate connector on the other end to
attach to the backplane or to the SAS/SATA devices.
• For PCIe/NVMe connections, use the appropriate U.2 Enabler Cable to enable connection to the
backplane connectors, as shown in the following figure. The U.2 Enabler Cable routes the REFCLK,
sidebands, and PCIe signals to the appropriate pins on the backplane connector. Different U.2 Enabler
Cables are available depending on the backplane connector type. Using standard 12Gb/s SAS cables
for NVMe connections might result in damage to the PCIe adapter or the drive. For more information,
refer to the Storage Adapter Cable Guide and the Broadcom MegaRAID and HBA Tri-Mode Storage
Adapters User Guide at Support Documents and Downloads.

CAUTION: Possible hardware damage – For NVMe connections to a SFF-8639 (U.2) bay or connections
to a PCIe switch, use only approved cables with REFCLK forwarded on the proper pins.
Improperly connecting a standard 12G SAS cable to a SFF-8639 bay could damage the PCIe
storage adapter and the drive.

Chs 5/6 of this one
Broadcom MegaRAID and HBA Tri-Mode Storage Adapters User Guide (516 KB)

Last edited:
Reactions: Son of Homer

abq

May 23, 2015
I would be interested as well. Depends on pricing. Thanks :)

zer0gravity

Feb 15, 2013
I'm in for 1 based on pricing...need more info on how to connect NVME drives (looked at the pdf already)

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Like other who already posted, I'm also interested in one depending on price of the unit. But one thing to be noted is that a new product firmware will generally have bugs not suitable for mission critical system.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

KyDay

Aug 1, 2017
Did anyone get the NVMe profiles to work?
I got 2 of these and NVMe U.2 Cards wont work with SFF-8639 (U.2). - yes i use specifically designed u.2 minisashd cables from delock.

My Samsung EVO M.2 SSDs never show up.

Anyone has any idea?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I don't think this is relevant any more since they are publicly available now;)
Back when the post was made they were still hard/impossible to get officially:)