Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Firmware Updated

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

korban

Feb 12, 2013
Belgium
www.befr.ebay.be
Just saw that Dell changed their driver page:
Latest: Drivers for PowerEdge C6100
All: Drivers for PowerEdge C6100

BIOS v1.70 on 3/27/2013
BMC Firmware v1.3 on 4/1/2013
Fan Controller Board Firmware on 3/27/2013

Updated link in main thread.
Hi Patrick, take care with those update. I have done these a week ago and notice no issue until 2 days. I don't know if those update ere the source of the issue that I have on 1 of my 2 enclosure.

Check here, I just have opened a new thread here http://forums.servethehome.com/proc...e-different-behavior-different-enclosure.html

Do you notice something equivalent in your infrastructure ?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
PigLover - Hopefully will remember tonight but they do have a bugfix log in an Excel spreadsheet that I found with each revision.

How are people updating these? I tried using the webgui to update four nodes from a December 2010 build and it keeps failing image verification on five different firmware versions.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
I came across Dell PowerEdge C Server | System Management a few months ago; has a bunch of PE C series tools, including a PXE image. Relevant tool is ipmiflash

Find the firmware to be flashed from Dell Support. Place the firmware
image in a location that is network-accessible by TFTP, FTP (user/password is OK),
or HTTP. Then issue the command (can be from a remote machine):

# ./ipmiflash [connection Info] bios|bmc|fcb ftp://user:pass@host:port/path/to/ROM
I haven't done any updates myself (why fix what's not broken hehe!)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
... (why fix what's not broken hehe!) ...
Exactly my reason for wanting to see the change log. I have long believed that you should do firmware upgrades only when there is a good reason...but without the logs I don't know what might be lurking and purportedly fixed.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
PigLover - Hopefully will remember tonight but they do have a bugfix log in an Excel spreadsheet that I found with each revision.

How are people updating these? I tried using the webgui to update four nodes from a December 2010 build and it keeps failing image verification on five different firmware versions.
I too used an USB key to flash through DOS.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Exactly my reason for wanting to see the change log. I have long believed that you should do firmware upgrades only when there is a good reason...but without the logs I don't know what might be lurking and purportedly fixed.
Good point. I have the worlds slowest IPMI (December 2010 firmware) running on all of the nodes in one of the C6100. MegaRAC branded. I tried force upgrading in the web GUI but it didn't work on any of the four nodes...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I do wish Dell provided a changelog...
So I found what I was looking for in the package: FCB.00_1.20.121001_customer

Unzipped there is an excel file called matrix which shows bugfixes on the left and header rows are firmware versions. Only negative is that I think this is just for the fan controller board.

briancl

Apr 2, 2013
I upgraded the BIOS to 1.70 and BMC to 1.30 as these were the latest available when I went to do an upgrade a few days ago. I used a bootable DOS usb drive, ran with no problems on my 2 nodes. No issues to report after the update.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well used the Windows EXE and updated to BIOS 1.70 and BMC Firmware 1.30 one one of the nodes and it is now Dell branded and working fine! Issue I was having with connecting to remote iKVM session but this fixed it at least on the node I tried.

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
For remote iKVM, how's everyone get around with the expired SSL? Using Chrome or Firefox only?

Is there a way to update the self-signed SSL?

Well used the Windows EXE and updated to BIOS 1.70 and BMC Firmware 1.30 one one of the nodes and it is now Dell branded and working fine! Issue I was having with connecting to remote iKVM session but this fixed it at least on the node I tried.

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
For remote iKVM, how's everyone get around with the expired SSL? Using Chrome or Firefox only?

Is there a way to update the self-signed SSL?

Instead, let’s revert IE to back to allowing those 512-bit keys. Run the following command from an elevated command prompt:

certutil -setreg chain\minRSAPubKeyBitLength 512

If you need/wish to revert back to the more secure setting, simply run this command:

certutil -setreg chain\minRSAPubKeyBitLength 1024

From my adventures: http://osts.co/certificate-errors-and-internet-explorer-10/

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Thanks for the info. It's a good work around. But in some environment change the IE setting may not be an option. With regular DRAC, we can update the SSL from SSH.

It will nice if we can do that to the C6100 iKVM.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Brilliant. I did not know why IE stopped working with the c6100 IPKVM, but enabling 512 bit keys using your script fixed the problem. Thanks!

Instead, let’s revert IE to back to allowing those 512-bit keys. Run the following command from an elevated command prompt:

certutil -setreg chain\minRSAPubKeyBitLength 512

If you need/wish to revert back to the more secure setting, simply run this command:

certutil -setreg chain\minRSAPubKeyBitLength 1024

From my adventures: Certificate Errors and Internet Explorer 10

jdern3392

May 6, 2013
can anyone point me in the right direction, I am trying to update the bmc on one of these and am having several issues.

I have tried Dell's ipmiflash utility from the PEC website and I am receiving the following error:

Unable to sent RAW command. Request data length invalid.

I have tried to perform the flash by passing the BMC raw commands directly using ipmitool with the path to the tftp server, and the responses from the BMC are considered successful according to Dell's documentation, but the BMC never truly flashes.

I have a large number of these, so using the Windows utility or the like is just not feasible.

Has anyone successfully flashed using either ipmitool or the ipmiflash utility? Would you mind sharing how you have done so?

Thanks in adavance,

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
C6100 is not standard PE servers. People were having issues even getting it update from USB/DOS. Maybe use bootable USB is the best option. I would rather be safe than sorry...

mulder

Feb 9, 2013
PowerEdge C6100 BMC Firmware 1.32 Update
Dell US - PowerEdge C6100 Drivers & Downloads -> Under 'ESM' tab
Released: 5/23/2013

Fixes:
- Internet drop symptom while BMC sync system time with BIOS for every 24 hours.
- SOL can't be actived when set SOL timeout to 0.
- Fix [BMC] Unable to send ctrl-break on C6100 through SOL.
- Improve IPMI LAN session security strength and eliminate potential vulnerability.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Does anyone have the older versions of the BMC firmware handy? They don't seem to be available on Dell's website anymore.

Looking for 1.19, but any version below 1.3 would probably do.