NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Only buy the FE if you are planning to WC it. Buy a strix/ftw/iChill version if you don't plan to. There has been "Turbo" versions for 1080 from Asus where the fan can pull from both sides, those can also be an option.
I ended up starting with EVGA GTX 1080 $439 Amazon

At <$440 it was hard to justify a $260 bump for now. I know the Ti is a much better card.

Aside from the cost this lets me use the devices in a server so that is a major plus for me.

Reactions: vrod

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
Are 1080ti's good for crypto? I've found that my own 1080 is not too good, an rx470 is better by 50% as far as I have seen. :)

lbjm

May 29, 2017
Are you going to buy an AC unit for the TIs too? ;D I'd be curious to know how much the four cards at load increase room temperature.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Are you going to buy an AC unit for the TIs too? ;D I'd be curious to know how much the four cards at load increase room temperature.
These basically need to be run in the datacenter. There, you do not notice it.

lbjm

May 29, 2017
FE cards are so called "premium reference" designs but with the throttling issues that the non-reference designs do not suffer from. Maxwell didn't have such throttling issues and it's Nvidia decision to focus on fan profiles for quiet operation rather than performance.
The one thing ATI did better than Nvidia was include more powerful fans in their reference coolers. they would cool very well cranked up. I really can't recommend any reference design anymore since third party custom pcbs tend to have much better cooling, but my triple slot strix really gets me to install that waterblock so I can regain a pci-e slot.