Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nothing4me

Feb 25, 2017
I came across a local sale and I was wondering if it was worth the $570.

• WIWYNN Open Compute Windmill Server 2 Node
  • 4x E5-2670 (2 on each node)
  • 64GB (32GB on each node)
  • Has the heatsinks and everything already attached and working.
  • No hard drives, but it comes with the trays (1 on each node)
  • 120 to 220V transformer
  • 1 basic video card
Thank you.

danielc

Mar 13, 2017
I have read though this thread for 25 pages but seems nobody talks about the KVM feature - I doubt if anybody have successfully turn it on or use it?

I have got a Quanta one and have the bios with version F03C3A07 - as attached.

Ac0rding to the manual, the F03A have this:

4.1 Introduction
AST2300 ESMS is a system management user interface which is based on BMC kernel function and AST2300 chip. The AST2300 is a 3-in-1 SoC (System on Chip) that includes a VGA controller, BMC and KVM over IP functions. Additionally, AST2300 firmware supports KVM over IP. This document specifies how AST2300 functions for KVM over IP.​

It even mentions this:

Connection Requirements and Authentication

1. AST2300 embedded server IP address* or URL is required for direct access via web browser.
2. The default IP of AST2300 embedded server is “192.168.1.2” for LAN and “192.168.8.2 for VLAN.
3. By default, DHCP function is enabled.​

However, i cannot get this to work no matter by the default IP (192.168.1.2) nor the BMC IP address, which i can be used with SOL in linux.
I have no problem to get the SOL nor IPMI to work, but no, i cannot get the ESMS nor this KVM feature to work.
I also have no idea how to identify the "AST2300".
I highly appericate if your guys can share your experiences with this - With this server model, i have already learned what is SOL - which is interesting.

Thanks

Daniel

Attachments

Last edited:

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
I found the same info but was unable to figure out how to get KVM over IP working. I have since purchased a raritan KVM/IP switch and it's extras in order to get this function. The Quanta servers I have actually came from a Facebook datacenter. Anyone know someone in IT there that might be able to comment?

Barnett8

Apr 26, 2017
Hi guys, I have a Wiwynn SV7210 that I've had running for a couple of months now and I just bought a GTX 1050Ti (which fits perfectly in the small space) so I can do some GPU computational work on the system.

However, when I try to boot the node with the card it will get as far as the American Megatrends splash screen and won't even boot to the bios. Any ideas? I tried installing Nvidia drivers but had no luck. Thanks!

ZeroGee

Apr 29, 2017
I'm reading some conflicting information. I've read here that v2 boards, typically called "Windmill" can support e5-2600 v2 processors.

The datasheet here: ownCloud(link to datasheet from Server/SpecsAndDesigns - OpenCompute ) implies that it only supports v1. Is it the case that it will support a v2 if it fits the rest of the criteria? 115w TDP, 8 cores or fewer, 20MB L3, etc.

More specifically, I'm wondering what the nodes being sold on ebay support. Searching for 'quanta node'. I think that's what this thread is about, but I'm specifically referencing it to just be sure. This is a v2 board right?

i.e. QUANTA OPEN COMPUTE WINDMILL SERVER 2 NODE 4x E5-2630L 32GB 2x TRAYS ATI 2260

Edit:
Happy to report that the v2 chips indeed work on the Quanta boards after the BIOS update!
I've fully read this thread now. It seems I had skimmed over the post stating quanta with latest firmware will run v2 cpus.

Just for clarity, what is version is considered the latest firmware, or the minimum firmware version that works with v2 cpus?

Thanks. :) Thinking about picking a few of these up to make into a renderfarm or workstation.

Last edited:

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Hi guys, I have a Wiwynn SV7210 that I've had running for a couple of months now and I just bought a GTX 1050Ti (which fits perfectly in the small space) so I can do some GPU computational work on the system.

However, when I try to boot the node with the card it will get as far as the American Megatrends splash screen and won't even boot to the bios. Any ideas? I tried installing Nvidia drivers but had no luck. Thanks!
I think the wywinn is much more limited than the quantas. I ran into the same issue when upgrading to a 12Gb sas card. It would pause at boot screen. I emailed the wywinn engineers and they told me the card wasn't supported. I'm pretty sure you are running into same issue. Maybe look into trading someone a wywinn for a quanta or selling the wywinn and picking up one of the quanta models

Barnett8

Apr 26, 2017
I'm reading some conflicting information. I've read here that v2 boards, typically called "Windmill" can support e5-2600 v2 processors.

The datasheet here: ownCloud(link to datasheet from Server/SpecsAndDesigns - OpenCompute ) implies that it only supports v1. Is it the case that it will support a v2 if it fits the rest of the criteria? 115w TDP, 8 cores or fewer, 20MB L3, etc.

More specifically, I'm wondering what the nodes being sold on ebay support. Searching for 'quanta node'. I think that's what this thread is about, but I'm specifically referencing it to just be sure. This is a v2 board right?

i.e. QUANTA OPEN COMPUTE WINDMILL SERVER 2 NODE 4x E5-2630L 32GB 2x TRAYS ATI 2260

Edit:

I've fully read this thread now. It seems I had skimmed over the post stating quanta with latest firmware will run v2 cpus.

Just for clarity, what is version is considered the latest firmware, or the minimum firmware version that works with v2 cpus?

Thanks. :) Thinking about picking a few of these up to make into a renderfarm or workstation.
Here it specifies that E5-2600 v2 is supported http://www.h3platform.com/download/Datasheet_SV7210.pdf

I think the wywinn is much more limited than the quantas. I ran into the same issue when upgrading to a 12Gb sas card. It would pause at boot screen. I emailed the wywinn engineers and they told me the card wasn't supported. I'm pretty sure you are running into same issue. Maybe look into trading someone a wywinn for a quanta or selling the wywinn and picking up one of the quanta models
Yep, that's the conclusion I came to and returned the card. Shame, it fit so perfectly.

KingHussien

May 5, 2017
So I'm considering picking up 4 of these units for a work build server. The only thing holding me back atm is issues with the power distribution. I've looked through the entire thread and few people ( @polyfractal and @NorCalm) both have written extensive guides on getting these up and running. But the one thing missing is how they connect the units from the power supply to the transformer to the wall.

I can see from the pictures that each unit has a C14 power cord.

The ELC T-1000 has a single universal 220-240v output receptacle.

What type of the cord would I need to connect from the C14 to the ELC T-1000? And does this cord need to be rated for 220-240v?

Also since the ELC T-1000 has a single receptacle, this obviously can't be used for multiple units or is there a way to connect multiple units to via power strips? (If I got 1 ELC + powerstrip, I would get the 5000w unit)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
So I'm considering picking up 4 of these units for a work build server. The only thing holding me back atm is issues with the power distribution. I've looked through the entire thread and few people ( @polyfractal and @NorCalm) both have written extensive guides on getting these up and running. But the one thing missing is how they connect the units from the power supply to the transformer to the wall.

I can see from the pictures that each unit has a C14 power cord.

The ELC T-1000 has a single universal 220-240v output receptacle.

What type of the cord would I need to connect from the C14 to the ELC T-1000? And does this cord need to be rated for 220-240v?

Also since the ELC T-1000 has a single receptacle, this obviously can't be used for multiple units or is there a way to connect multiple units to via power strips? (If I got 1 ELC + powerstrip, I would get the 5000w unit)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I was using a standard american style power cord with my transformer until I got a 220 circuit installed. There is nothing stopping you from using a larger transformer and a passive multi tap. It just can't have overvoltage protection. Now with this said will it work yes but at this point you have regular american outlets NEMA 5-15r that have 220v instead of 110v and you need to make sure nothing random gets plugged into it that shouldn't. Typically if this was a home lab I would say make sure it is well labeled (220v do not plug anything in) and you should be fine but in a work environment you should probably get a proper 220v outlet installed.

KingHussien

May 5, 2017
I was using a standard american style power cord with my transformer until I got a 220 circuit installed. There is nothing stopping you from using a larger transformer and a passive multi tap. It just can't have overvoltage protection. Now with this said will it work yes but at this point you have regular american outlets NEMA 5-15r that have 220v instead of 110v and you need to make sure nothing random gets plugged into it that shouldn't. Typically if this was a home lab I would say make sure it is well labeled (220v do not plug anything in) and you should be fine but in a work environment you should probably get a proper 220v outlet installed.
Installing a 220v outlet is currently out of the question.

When you say passive multi tap, do you mean one of these?
EDIT: Amazon.com: Conntek 55705 Power Strip 250 Volt 7-1/2-Inch Housing IEC C14 Inlet to 4 IEC 60320 C13 Receptacles Sheet F Computer/Server: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Will one of these work between passive multitap and the transformer?
EDIT: Amazon.com: Cablelera North American Power Cord, NEMA 5-15P to IEC320 C15, 6', 18 AWG, 15A, 250V (ZWACPEAD-06): Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
That power strip should work. Then just a basic computer power cord like you probably have dozens laying around already. If not here is one Amazon.com: Hosa PWC-143 18 AWG, IEC C13 to NEMA 5-15P Power Cord, 3 feet: Metternich und die Sibylle: Musical Instruments the one you linked to is a c15 connector not a c13. Then you need a couple of these to go between the power strip and the power supplies Amazon.com: Tripp Lite Standard Computer Power Extension Cord 10A, 18AWG (IEC-320-C14 to IEC-320-C13) 8-ft.(P004-008): Home Audio & Theater

KingHussien

May 5, 2017
That power strip should work. Then just a basic computer power cord like you probably have dozens laying around already. If not here is one Amazon.com: Hosa PWC-143 18 AWG, IEC C13 to NEMA 5-15P Power Cord, 3 feet: Metternich und die Sibylle: Musical Instruments the one you linked to is a c15 connector not a c13. Then you need a couple of these to go between the power strip and the power supplies Amazon.com: Tripp Lite Standard Computer Power Extension Cord 10A, 18AWG (IEC-320-C14 to IEC-320-C13) 8-ft.(P004-008): Home Audio & Theater
Thanks, I went ahead and order the power strip and the power cord you suggested, but I made sure the cord between PSU/power strip was rated for 250v and the cord between the power strip and transformer was rated 15A/250v.

Everything should be here in the next 8 days.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I have been debating on getting one of the Wywinn OC servers, not the quanta because I have had the worst luck with buying a used motherboard.

But I did not want to hassle with a inverter, but after moving a piece of furniture today that had not been moved in years I had totally forgotten about this outlet. It's literally only feet from my pc building/tinkering area in my house.

It's an unused 20A 250V outlet.

I have never had anything plugged into it so I had no clue if it was live so I grabbed the multimeter and this is what I got.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

A few months ago I was seriously considering running an outlet about 5 feet from there.

Off to ebay since I have the money from selling that E5-2695 V2 cpu..........

EDIT: I just ordered two Wywinn servers new in the box.

Can you say dedicated Monero miners?

After buying two servers , 8 E5-2650 V1 cpu's and ram its almost half the price of six RX 580 gpus and only a couple hundred H/s less.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Changed my mined on the E5-2650's and ordered 4 E5-2660's for now to get one going, seems to be a better deal for more performance.

Also will need to get four more cpu's for the other server and will be watching for the best deals.

I ordered 4x 8gb sticks of Samsung DDR3 12800r ECC ram from Natex for the "Master Node" and 8x 1 GB sticks of Hynix DDR3 8500 Ecc ram for test purposes for the other nodes.

I plan to use these as dedicated Monero mining platforms and I want to see if I can go with ram as cheap as possible, the Hynix DDR3 8500 was $17.50 off of ebay for all 8 sticks.

The "Master node" will have a video card and maybe a pci-e usb card and will be used as a test machine that will have a keyboard, mouse and monitor and have a gui running Ubuntu desktop until i'm happy with the other three nodes then it will go headless/GUIless also.

All the others will be headless and run Ubuntu Server with a minimum install just to run XMR-STAK-CPU.

Should be easier to install and configure the hard drives using the master node with monitor and keyboard the move the drives over to the other nodes.

Already have the hard drives I plan on using, one 120 GB SSD and three WD Black 1 TB hard drives.

I will experiment to see if I can use the cheapest ram possible on the headless nodes to save me some cash as I plan on getting at least one more OC server.

When you mine with gpu's you need a minimum of 4 gigs for 4-6 gpu's, mining with cpu's the miner is just another program so I should be able to use far less.

Maybe as little as 1 gig or less.

Should be interesting.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I have had an issue with video cards mounted in the top slot, one a older Nvidia something 7200 Dell OEM the other is a older don't remember what ATI OEM Dell video card, I found that the Nvidia blue screens on windows 7 install and on Ubuntu 16.04.2 crashes when I try to install the recommended non-free nvidia 304 driver that shows up in synaptic but if I leave the free driver that installs originally it runs fine.

But if I take it out of the top slot and put it in the bottom slot of the riser it works perfectly.

So if any one is having a video card issue try putting it in the lower slot to see if that works, it seemed to work for me.

The ATI if I have it in the top slot the node never boots up at all and no video is displayed.

I'll try the ATI card in the bottom slot next.

I have noticed on the PCI-e riser there are two jumpers, does anyone know what they are for?

One is labled confgen1 and the other is confgen2.

EDIT: Its a Wiwynn server

voxadam

Apr 21, 2016
Portland, Oregon
@Klee, that's a really good tip; I can imagine spending days and never having that idea cross my mind.

On a related note, what is it about systems like these that keeps them from working with modern GPUs? I don't get the impression that specific GPUs are whitelisted in the the firmware/BIOS but I could be wrong.

What mode are people booting their systems in, legacy/CSM or UEFI?

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Another pro tip for those installing Windows 7 on a Wiwynn oc server.

After I installed Win 7 there were a TON of unknown devices in device manager, I have a few intel chipset installer programs I have used on other boards.

The one that I installed was "Intel_chipset_10.1.2.10", I tried a newer version but it stopped on an error, and now device manager only shows two unknown hardware.

One is a network controller, the other is a serial port.

Now I'm running windows update to see if that installs the drivers for them.

Last edited: